Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a used XK, then I will most likely do the diesel swap that came factory overseas. Would anyone be interested in a diesel swap within the next year or two?

Mercedes 3.0 L V6 common-rail turbo diesel
218 hp and 376 ft lbs of torque
Bosch fuel injection
Variable geometry turbocharger
Four valves per cylinder
NO PARTICULATE FILTER
Perfect for those of us who make our own biodiesel

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Is that the engine that was available in the liberty here in the states?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the engine that was available in the liberty here in the states?
No, the engine that came in the KJ Liberty was a 2.8L VM motori. I would have to import a 3.0L from overseas. There is also a 3.0L in the Cherokees here in the United States, but I want a factory-like install, plus you would need all the wiring and computers to make it work like a factory install.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The WK CRD feels no different than a Hemi, torque wise.
The Hemi is still faster and not to mention the new Hemi is powerful and very well tunable, the most i have heard on power before you blow the CRD (literally) is around 500 fpt on the highest setting of the programmer which you have to sign a waver before they let you unlock the higher setting.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Diesel, are you going to upgrade the trans so you can put a programmer on that motor and really make some torque? I know that a diesel is not for HP but more for torque and since the numbers on that 3.0 are not drastically different I would think you would tune it up some. I am not sure how much the stock trans will take in terms of torque. The reason I ask is because the conversion does not seem to be worth the time compared to buying the 5.7 unless you are going to add some power or maybe you are just some kind of diesel enthusiast. LOL

Here are the numbers I have found (correct me if I am wrong):

2006-current 3.7 - 210hp and 235ft/lb
2006-2007 4.7 - 235hp and 305ft/lb
2008-current 4.7 - 305hp and 334ft/lb
2006-current 5.7 - 330hp and 375ft/lb
Mercedes 3.0 L V6 - 218 hp and 376ft/lb

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good questions adamag25. There are several factors that would promote this decision. Not in any particular order, but here are my Top 5 Reasons:

1. The diesel is a longer lasting engine.
2. The engine has wet sleeves (meaning the engine is fairly easy to overhaul)
3. The diesel would achieve better fuel economy
4. I can make my own biodiesel for under $2.00 per gallon, hence saving more money. Given time, I’m sure the price of diesel fuel will slowly start to climb.
5. You guessed it, I’m a diesel enthusiast.

I would use the same Mercedes transmission that comes mated with the 3.0 diesel Commander overseas. The computers run both the transmission and engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
how much $$ for just the engine and trans??

man, if you're gonna do it, you should swap in a 5.9 or 6.7 cummins, you'd have to find a trans w/ a shorter tailshaft but man that'd be sweet...way more power out of the gate and the potential for power would be greater, you'd also get the same if not better MPG!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
diesel, it seems like you have done your homework and it sounds like it is going to work out very well for you. Keep us updated.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Diesel downsides

1. fuel is more expensive
2. mileage and power are not that much greater then a V8
3. expensive oil changes. usually around $125
4. more expensive filters

i just don't think the swap is worthwhile. but you might as well just import an XH into canada, then drive it. the wiring and CANBUS are going to kill you. everything is integrated into all the parts, engine management, transmission controller, vehicle systems.

good luck. i think you'd be better off importing one. get a used one and bring it in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much $$ for just the engine and trans??

man, if you're gonna do it, you should swap in a 5.9 or 6.7 cummins, you'd have to find a trans w/ a shorter tailshaft but man that'd be sweet...way more power out of the gate and the potential for power would be greater, you'd also get the same if not better MPG!
The engine, transmission, and all the wiring and computers will cost me around $4,000. All parts would be from a wrecked unit with low mileage. The installation cost would be an additional $4,000. The cost estimation for a used Commander will be $18,000 dollars + the $8,000 for the swap = $26,000 total.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
diesel, it seems like you have done your homework and it sounds like it is going to work out very well for you. Keep us updated.
Thank you for you words of encouragement. I don't have plans to do this anytime soon, but I will keep you updated for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Diesel downsides

1. fuel is more expensive
2. mileage and power are not that much greater then a V8
3. expensive oil changes. usually around $125
4. more expensive filters

i just don't think the swap is worthwhile. but you might as well just import an XH into canada, then drive it. the wiring and CANBUS are going to kill you. everything is integrated into all the parts, engine management, transmission controller, vehicle systems.

good luck. i think you'd be better off importing one. get a used one and bring it in.
It is illegal to import a vehicle from another country. If it were legal, then people would be shipping diesel wranglers and many other diesel vehicles into the United States by the thousands. On the Flipside, it is legal to import automotive parts into the U.S. and swap them into vehicles within the guidelines of each state.
These diesel swaps are not complicated when using factory-like installations. As a matter of fact, there is no splicing required. A good friend of mine does this for a living. www.dieseltoyz.com

As far as the diesel swap is concerned, I do not share the same thoughts that you have towards diesels. I think the swap would be worthwhile. The mpg are much greater. I found this infomormation from the Chrysler/Jeep website:

Urban Fuel (20.9 mpg)
Extra Urban (30.7 mpg)
Combined (26.2 mpg)

Oil changes are not any more expensive because your intervals are more than double on a gasoline engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have owned a diesel Commander for nearly three years and 50,000 miles now and I think the engine is excellent. It's one of the best diesel engines available in any SUV anywhere in the world (with the possible exception of the LandRover TDV8 fitted to the RangeRover and Sport).

The one thing that it is not however is economical. My average over the three years is 21.5mpg and that is a UK eight pint gallon.

It pulls like a train, accelerates well, the 5 speed auto transmission is very well suited and programmed and it is simple to tune to get 10% more torque and power. 15% is available with just a few mods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I buy a used XK, then I will most likely do the diesel swap that came factory overseas. Would anyone be interested in a diesel swap within the next year or two?

Mercedes 3.0 L V6 common-rail turbo diesel
218 hp and 376 ft lbs of torque
Bosch fuel injection
Variable geometry turbocharger
Four valves per cylinder
NO PARTICULATE FILTER
Perfect for those of us who make our own biodiesel
I am very interested, of course, cost is a factor as well as 3.0l availability. How hard is it actually? I was actually dreaming about a Cummins swap and call it "the Commander Jeep SHOULD have made"...Physical dimensions limitations unknown......but Very interested in finding out more about a swap. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No, the engine that came in the KJ Liberty was a 2.8L VM motori. I would have to import a 3.0L from overseas. There is also a 3.0L in the Cherokees here in the United States, but I want a factory-like install, plus you would need all the wiring and computers to make it work like a factory install.
If you found a 3.0 l Diesel from a newer Grand Cherokee here in the states it would be no different then importing a 3.0 l diesel from overseas. They are the exact same engines. The Grand Cherokee is no differnt then the Commander. They are the same vehicles, just different bodies. The install would be the same and you would have a factory-like install. It would look like it rolled right out of the dealer floor with that engine in it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am very interested, of course, cost is a factor as well as 3.0l availability. How hard is it actually? I was actually dreaming about a Cummins swap and call it "the Commander Jeep SHOULD have made"...Physical dimensions limitations unknown......but Very interested in finding out more about a swap. Thanks!!
The cost depends on the engine mileage, supply and demand, and what country we buy from. Due to the exchange rate, the American dollar will go a lot further in some countries. In the past 6 months, we’ve found that the local economy also impacts the overall cost and availability. The 3.0 Mercedes engines are not as popular as the Wrangler 2.8 VM, therefore the prices are cheaper and there are more of them on the market making these a perfect swap. Thanks for posting up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you found a 3.0 l Diesel from a newer Grand Cherokee here in the states it would be no different then importing a 3.0 l diesel from overseas. They are the exact same engines. The Grand Cherokee is no differnt then the Commander. They are the same vehicles, just different bodies. The install would be the same and you would have a factory-like install. It would look like it rolled right out of the dealer floor with that engine in it.
You brought up a good point. And basically, you’re partially right………. However, there are so many random parts that make the engine swap so much easier if you buy the whole pullout from a factory diesel Jeep. There are key things that help make the swap an exact factory look. Everything from the dash cluster, computers, wiring harnesses, engine, suspensions parts, transmission, and other under hood parts. Sometimes small things such as the battery tray, motor mounts, A/C accessories are all small things that make the swap so much easier. Basically, we’re having a professional shop on the other side of the ocean disassemble and ship all the needed parts. It’s a business relationship that we have worked hard to establish.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts