Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2008 limited Commander for sale in the local area. 180k miles with a bad engine.

Because I'm curious I was Trying to look up the cost of a engine and they show a difference in 4x4 and 2wd. What is the real difference?

I know sometimes it's simple things, like brackets and pilot bearing size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
There is no difference in the engine itself. The difference would be in the drive train.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
That's what I thought. Wish I could see what the interchange computer says about it.
When I look up the oil pan, engine block, cylinder heads, flexplate, there is no difference in 2wd vs 4wd. But when I look up the engine they want to know if it's 4wd or not.

I will probably pass on this Commander, assuming worst case for a engine I know nothing about, $2000-3000 for a used the engine then all the work and with all the other little parts figured in it's not worth it when I could buy a running Commander for the same price. Probably why this poor guy is letting it go. He is looking at all the cost I am plus a easy $1000 in labor for a mechanic to do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks.
That's what I thought. Wish I could see what the interchange computer says about it.
When I look up the oil pan, engine block, cylinder heads, flexplate, there is no difference in 2wd vs 4wd. But when I look up the engine they want to know if it's 4wd or not.

I will probably pass on this Commander, assuming worst case for a engine I know nothing about, $2000-3000 for a used the engine then all the work and with all the other little parts figured in it's not worth it when I could buy a running Commander for the same price. Probably why this poor guy is letting it go. He is looking at all the cost I am plus a easy $1000 in labor for a mechanic to do it.

I would not think there is much difference in the engine itself except some mounts maybe. Then you could use the existing ones in place if needed. FYI...I got a jasper 5.7 hemi long block put in my 4x4 qd2 2010 commander for $3800 plus the labor.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a rebuilt 5.7 that's a good price. Cheapest I've seen $3100 for one of the ATK knock off brands. Most are close to $4000 or higher for rebuilt.

For used the interchange looks like 2006-08 on the 5.7
Maybe later years will work too, I've got no idea.
I know the 3.7 v6 interchanged 2005-12, swap the oil pan, engine mounts and a couple of sensors the 2012 motor dropped in no problems.

Kind of wish I could save this Commander, 5.7 v8 and looks like it has the better QD2 package too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I almost answered this earlier. I was going to say the oil pan is the difference, because when there's a difference in engines between 4wd and 2wd, it's always the oil pan.

Then I thought I'd be helpful and hit the parts catalog and get the oil pan part #'s, and it's the same oil pan for 4wd as for 2wd.

I wonder if somehow the interchange for the used parts market is using that 4wd/2wd thing to choose between MDS and non-MDS.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
I almost answered this earlier. I was going to say the oil pan is the difference, because when there's a difference in engines between 4wd and 2wd, it's always the oil pan.

Then I thought I'd be helpful and hit the parts catalog and get the oil pan part #'s, and it's the same oil pan for 4wd as for 2wd.

I wonder if somehow the interchange for the used parts market is using that 4wd/2wd thing to choose between MDS and non-MDS
All of the 5.7l Hemis have MDS regardless if they are 2WD or 4WD.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't find what the difference would be the rebuilt long block interchanges 2005-8
Crankshafts and everything else i have looked up is the same 2wd & 4wd

Yet the use part interchange shows a difference, I would love to read the notes cause it's got to be something like a bracket that different.

Used part numbers are :
300-08557A for 4wd
300-08557C for 2wd

If you want to throw a counterman for a loop call and ask him to check a number then read the Hollander number he may give you the wholesale price before asking who you are with.

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
There is a 2008 limited Commander for sale in the local area. 180k miles with a bad engine.

Because I'm curious I was Trying to look up the cost of a engine and they show a difference in 4x4 and 2wd. What is the real difference?

I know sometimes it's simple things, like brackets and pilot bearing size.

A little reference material;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Commander_%28XK%29

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Link doesn't work, anyway I doubt a wiki article can answer why parts catalogue list different motors 2wd and 4wd when block, cylinder heads, crankshaft , oil pans and valve covers are identical.

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Link doesn't work, anyway I doubt a wiki article can answer why parts catalogue list different motors 2wd and 4wd when block, cylinder heads, crankshaft , oil pans and valve covers are identical.
It works just fine for me.

Here's an idea.

Pick up the phone and call the companies that publish the parts catalogs you're looking at directly - and ask them yourself.

I'm sure they have the answer as to why they list them the way they do - and it's a very simple solution.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Link still does not work. Says bad title.

Sorry for asking the freaking Commander forum for information concerning saving a commander from the crusher. This guy in Fl is not going to get the cash he wants because even for someone like me who can do the work myself the cost vs buying a working lower milage commander the math doesn't work, hell it didn't work for him to fix it and he owns the vehicle outright.

Hollander is not going to take a call from you or me to explain their interchange, which is usually more accurate than the parts companies because they work with directly with Chrysler and other companies to create the interchanges and crash catalogues.

There is a difference, at this point it's safe to say it's probably minor. But the practical side of repairing a vehicle like this it is often the little things that are the biggest setback.
asking the people who know these jeeps the best shouldn't be something for you to take offense at.

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Link still does not work. Says bad title.

Sorry for asking the freaking Commander forum for information concerning saving a commander from the crusher. This guy in Fl is not going to get the cash he wants because even for someone like me who can do the work myself the cost vs buying a working lower milage commander the math doesn't work, hell it didn't work for him to fix it and he owns the vehicle outright.

Hollander is not going to take a call from you or me to explain their interchange, which is usually more accurate than the parts companies because they work with directly with Chrysler and other companies to create the interchanges and crash catalogues.

There is a difference, at this point it's safe to say it's probably minor. But the practical side of repairing a vehicle like this it is often the little things that are the biggest setback.
asking the people who know these jeeps the best shouldn't be something for you to take offense at.

First off I'm not offended - but your remarks were blatantly condescending, when all I was trying to do was help.

As far as Hollander not taking a phone call from you - that's an assumption on your part.

Have you even tried?

Seems kind of silly to dismiss the idea, without even making an effort.

And again, the link works just fine for me....every time I click on it.

Your issue is probably caused by the fact you are using the mobile site on your smart phone - I'll bet if you try it from a laptop or desktop computer on the regular website, it will work just fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The later Hemis have 30 or so more HP plus higher torque - so there must be a difference at least internally, right? And isn't the EGR deleted from the later Hemis?

None of that would make a difference as far as whether one model year would fit in a particular XK since the engine mounts, tranny bellhousng etc is all the same... But if I could by an XK all over again I'd look for a 2009 or 2010 to get the extra power and torque just cuz I'm greedy like that ;)

I'm satisfied with my '06 especially after installing a SuperChips tune but who doesn't want more power...??

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
First off I'm not offended - but your remarks were blatantly condescending, when all I was trying to do was help.
Condescending is assuming that someone on this forum doesn't know how to check wikipedia.

Condescending is posting random (off topic) links which don't contain any useful answer to the questions being asked. That's a waste of peoples' time (not just the OP, but others who might also be interested in the question being discussed).

Helpful is something in the form of: "The answer to your question is {answer} and I found that information at {link}."

Your issue is probably caused by the fact you are using the mobile site on your smart phone - I'll bet if you try it from a laptop or desktop computer on the regular website, it will work just fine.
Two observations about this statement as well.

1. It's not his fault if the mobile app is broken or deficient in some way.
  2. Even on a laptop or desktop computer, the link doesn't contain any information that answers his question.
Stepping down from my soap box.

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
I almost responded when you posted your first (totally off topic, totally useless) link.

Condescending is assuming that someone on this forum doesn't know how to check wikipedia.

Condescending is posting random (off topic) links which don't contain any useful answer to the questions being asked. That's a waste of peoples' time (not just the OP, but others who might also be interested in the question being discussed).

Helpful is something in the form of: "The answer to your question is {answer} and I found that information at {link}."

Two observations about this statement as well.

1. It's not his fault if the mobile app is broken or deficient in some way.
  2. Even on a laptop or desktop computer, the link doesn't contain any information that answers his question.
Stepping down from my soap box.
O.k. so the general consensus is the link I posted was not helpful.

I thought posting a link with information on the engines & power-trains in all Commanders (as well as containing some other reference links within it) would be useful.

My apologies to all if it was not; I was not trying to waste anybody's time.

Now that being said Racer_X; I'll say this;

It seems to me that the sole purpose of this post was to tell me the link I posted was useless - and to insult me directly - since you didn't post any additional information to try and actually contribute something to the topic of the thread.

Now I'll get on my soapbox - This kind of behavior won't be tolerated here.

Treat members of this forum with respect.

This is the first and only warning you'll get.

If I see - or hear about you talking to anyone on this forum like this again - you'll get a nice, long vacation.

That being said, I think this thread has run it's course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.