Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just had my first offroad experience at the Mounds in Mt. Morris, MI and my priorities have changed for my upgrades. While nothing bad happened to my stock Commander, I have decided armor plating might be a good thing.

Does anyone know of any armored differential covers for the Commander besides the one by Superlift?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12011_60X_PG.htm

Thanks,

Gabe

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
GetLost4x4 makes, or has made in the past, differential covers. PM him for details, or contact him at his site - www.getlost4x4.com .

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I must just be really lucky or something. I off road my Commander about 2-3 times a week and have yet to do any damage to the rear differential cover. My priority at the moment is to get the 4xguard skid plate for the transmission pan. That would be an expensive fix if it was damaged.

·
2,248 Posts
Just recently Phunkeydude was selling his old add on armor housing for his rear differential. He got a Get Lost diff cover and replaced his old stock plus the armor add on one.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Just recently Phunkeydude was selling his old add on armor housing for his rear differential. He got a Get Lost diff cover and replaced his old stock plus the armor add on one.
His old one is in the buy/sell but is the Superlift version.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention I have the Quadratrac I. Is the differential different for the QT I?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I forgot to mention I have the Quadratrac I. Is the differential different for the QT I?
The QT I and QT II axles are the same except the QT I has 3.07 gears and the QT II has 3.73's. So yes the diff. cover will work.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
How exactly are most diff covers damaged in off-roading? Hit a rock? Scrapes? And how does one of these shells (on the back of the cover) protect it from those things?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I don’t see how a rock can get into there and hit the diff cover. The ring reinforces the diff edges so it will not pill back.
I think that is the main advantage to a dif cover, I know mine has hit several times and that is why I purchased a tougher cover.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Does the diff cover only cover the back of the diff? It seems like its the front that would be most susceptible to getting mashed on rocks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Has anyone received damage to front or rear diff without added armor? I understand the value of protection in general but I would like to hear if anyone in a Commander actually sustained damage to their diff. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yes, I believe CrzCajun and adamag25 both dented there front covers on rocks. It's been a while since I read that though.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Has anyone received damage to front or rear diff without added armor? I understand the value of protection in general but I would like to hear if anyone in a Commander actually sustained damage to their diff. Thanks.
Phunkeydude damaged his:
Phunkeydude said:
I just emailed them at [email protected] to express my interest. It appears my weekend in Pagosa Springs has also caused damage to the lip of the stock cover as I am now dripping on the driveway after returning home.
Post #6 here------>http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5355&highlight=superlift+extreme&page=13

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes, I believe CrzCajun and adamag25 both dented there front covers on rocks. It's been a while since I read that though.
CrzCajun messed up his rear differential cover. Also I was unaware adamag25 damaged his diff. cover. If so it would have been the rear as he has full mopar skids on his XK.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
CrzCajun messed up his rear differential cover. Also I was unaware adamag25 damaged his diff. cover. If so it would have been the rear as he has full mopar skids on his XK.
See I told you it was a while ago, but I think adam's happened in his own yard.

I know there is an issue with the plastic front skid having an opening that lets the bottom of the front diff through, is it the same way with the steel skid?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
See I told you it was a while ago, but I think adam's happened in his own yard.

I know there is an issue with the plastic front skid having an opening that lets the bottom of the front diff through, is it the same way with the steel skid?
The front steel skid is identical to the front plastic skid. They both have a hole cut out where the front diff is. But I honestly think it would be impossible to mess up the front differential cover with that skid plate being on. I hit my differential on a rock and all it did was scratch the verry bottom since the mopar skid was there to protect the rest of the differential.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts