Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I went to get my 09 Commanders 4.7 oil changed at the dealership (I get $17 coupons) and they recommended that I get the a Differential / Case serviced. They are telling me it's recommended every 19K, is this true? That seems a little excessive. So I asked them what exactly do you do when performing this service. They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!

I guess I am writing this to ask if I am missing something. Is it as simple as just changing out the fluids? What do they provide. I know they said change fluid and reseal, but for $400.00+ that is a bit steep?

Oh I only have 29k on the Jeep.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Way to high on both counts.

The owners manual says every 30k on the transfer case regardless of usage and every 30k on the differentials if towing.......

So, if you are towing or working it hard, then diff service is due.....but if you are not towing, not yet.
But, I never saw a differential that was unhappy it was serviced, regardless of usage.

If you want to pay to get the fluid services done then you should shop around at a few independent shops or even some of the quick lube places......you should be able to get everything done under about 150.00.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
288 Posts
well dependent on what 4 wheel drive system you have, the owners manual calls out at what time or milage intervals you should have the fluids changed. In my case i have a 4.7L w/ QDII which uses a set of clutch packs in the diff and I believe the transfer case. I change my front and rear diffs at 15,000 mile intervals and my transfer case I do at 30,000 miles. What they are talking about resealing is the rear diff. cover. when you change the rear diff fluid, you break the seal. So when reinstalling it, you have to reseal it. The transfer case and front diff. both have drain and fill plugs. The fluids are expensive and the price they quoted sounds about right for a dealer.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
well dependent on what 4 wheel drive system you have, the owners manual calls out at what time or milage intervals you should have the fluids changed. In my case i have a 4.7L w/ QDII which uses a set of clutch packs in the diff and I believe the transfer case. I change my front and rear diffs at 15,000 mile intervals and my transfer case I do at 30,000 miles. What they are talking about resealing is the rear diff. cover. when you change the rear diff fluid, you break the seal. So when reinstalling it, you have to reseal it. The transfer case and front diff. both have drain and fill plugs. The fluids are expensive and the price they quoted sounds about right.
I probably should have said the price is about par for a dealer to perform the service but can be had for much less if performed by an independent service facility.

Rob

·
2,248 Posts
Okay I went to get my 09 Commanders 4.7 oil changed at the dealership (I get $17 coupons) and they recommended that I get the a Differential / Case serviced. They are telling me it's recommended every 19K, is this true? That seems a little excessive. So I asked them what exactly do you do when performing this service. They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!

I guess I am writing this to ask if I am missing something. Is it as simple as just changing out the fluids? What do they provide. I know they said change fluid and reseal, but for $400.00+ that is a bit steep?

Oh I only have 29k on the Jeep.

Thanks
m,

OK, I got a deal for you. A new member special. Next week will will be at Camp Commander West in Buena Vista, Colorado. Show up and we will change your differential fluid for free.

I am donating a case of Amsoil gear lube and some other Amsoil fluids for the raffle. We will hold out enough for your diffs and I am sure that between my tools and all the guys that will be there we can change your fluids.

You might even win some other stuff in the free raffle.

If you live anywhere near Colorado, you might come on by and run some trails with us.

note: That was a new member special so all you other guys need to win your gear lube or trade someone that wins some to get yours changed......

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!
To change the fluid in the rear differential, you have to pull the pan cover off the rear axle, there is NO gasket, you clean the old RTV sealant off the pan and axle, put a new bead of RTV on the pan before putting it back together to seal.

Like mentioned already, those prices are outrageous, god I hate Dealers.

If you can change oil, you can change these fluids, its only slightly more complicated because you need a tube or pump to fill them. Yea, you need a couple dollars worth of hex head sockets for the fill plugs, if you do NOT have them already. If you have to ask what they meant by reseal for changing diff fluid, I've got a feeling you don't have those tools in your tool box.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How much diff fluid should i put? Where will i pour the fluid after closing the pan? I have the 5.7 HEMI. How much torque is needed when tightening the bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How much diff fluid should i put? Where will i pour the fluid after closing the pan? I have the 5.7 HEMI. How much torque is needed when tightening the bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Do a search, torques have already been posted once.

Front Diff, you remove the lower plug to drain, jacking the front of the vehicle up on an incline helps to drain all the fluid, some may stay trapped if its level. Remove the upper plug to fill.

The XFR Case is the same way.

The Rear Dff, requires removing the pan to drain, then removing the rubber plug in the pan to fill.

Yes, all three are in a tough spot that you're NOT going to be able to pour the fluid into the fill holes. You'll to do 1 of 2 things; either get a long tube with funnel pressed into one end, put the tube in the fill hole and pour the fluid through the funnel and tube -OR- get a hand pump for fluids and pump the fluid out of the container into the fill holes.

You can find tubing at any hardware store, clear tubing makes the job easier, so you can see the fluid in it.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
kinda curious about that too, the manual states to change the fluid at 18000 miles if the truck is used for towing. I dont really see a number for normal service.

also, to refill the rear diff the level has to be 1" below the fill hole. How crucial is that and why cant it go all the way to the hole? IF the truck is on a lift, doesnt the axle tilt back a bit?

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
kinda curious about that too, the manual states to change the fluid at 18000 miles if the truck is used for towing. I dont really see a number for normal service.
My 2010 says towing or off road use, then change diff fluid at 18k miles. Logically, if you do NOT tow or off road, Chrysler believes the Diff Fluid is a lifetime fill.

Personally I do overkill on the preventative maintenance, but every 18k miles is a little to rich for my blood, if you're NOT towing or off-roading.

I do off-road, but seldom and its prett mild, no submersing the axles in water/mud etc.

So I have choose a 30k mile interval I'm changing the diff fluid at, I think most people would agree.

also, to refill the rear diff the level has to be 1" below the fill hole. How crucial is that and why cant it go all the way to the hole? IF the truck is on a lift, doesnt the axle tilt back a bit?
Look up the capacity in the OM, I "think" its 57.5 Oz, I add 57.5 Oz, if it reaches the fill hole and start to weep out, then stop filling. After adding 57.7 Oz, it looks like its within 1", thats good enough for me. It looks more than 1", then add a little more till it looks within 1".

As well, you can measure at what point 1" is on your finger, and then stick your finger into the fill hole and see if it hits the fluid level before reaching the 1" mark you measured on the finger.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for replying Mongo. I checked the manual and it's actually 1/2" below the fill hole, not 1", so that should be even easier to check by sticking a finger in. How do you do it, on a lift or on the ground? SOmeone told me that if the truck is on a lift, you have to fill it to the hole. If it's on the ground - 1/2" below. Either way, I'll put in the recommended amount and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thanks for replying Mongo. I checked the manual and it's actually 1/2" below the fill hole, not 1", so that should be even easier to check by sticking a finger in. How do you do it, on a lift or on the ground? SOmeone told me that if the truck is on a lift, you have to fill it to the hole. If it's on the ground - 1/2" below. Either way, I'll put in the recommended amount and see where that gets me.
Unless it states otherwise, you check all fluid levels on level ground with everything in normal position, like its parked on level ground.

When the vehicles is on the lift, the axle extends downward and tilts backwards, that will change the fluid level. If that makes the fluid level meet the bottom of the fill hole, I don't know, I have NOT seen anything that says that. It makes sense and it might be true, but I do NOT know.

Just make sure you get 57.5 oz in the axle, or whatever the O.M. says is the capacity and you should be good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts