Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I changed my differential fluid. First time I've ever done that, so GO ME!! Anyway, I spilled a little on the cement of my carport, and I'm sure you all know that stuff stinks like crazy. I did find a way to remove it though. Clean as much of it up as you can with shop towels, paper towels, whatever. Get some trisodiumphosphate (tsp) powder. I had some on hand from Lowe's from when I put down my linoleum tile. Anyway, wet the cement a bit and sprinkle the tsp powder over the spill. Scrub on it for a bit with a stiff bristled brush and let it sit for a bit. Mine sat for about fifteen minutes. Then wash it off with a hose. There's still a little bit of a stain on the concrete, but it's 90% gone. I'm sure there are other ways to remove it, but that worked really well for me.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Next time just use brake parts cleaner. Spray it all over the spill area and then use a rag to wipe it up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I didn't have any rake parts cleaner, I haven't done any sort of maintenance on my brakes yet. I will probably get to that in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to do all of the required maintenance myself, and learning it all as I go. I don't know what was done when on my Commander, so I want to make sure everything's been done at least once.

·
Registered
10 Posts
how much dif fluid do you refill with?

i've been told "up the fill port hole, just before it leaks out"

as well, this will be my first diff job, and im kind of scared to tackle it.

i assume you just unscrew the drain plug, drain, screw the drain plug back in, pull the plastic fill port cap, and fill until it's just about to spill out?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
how much dif fluid do you refill with?

i've been told "up the fill port hole, just before it leaks out"

as well, this will be my first diff job, and im kind of scared to tackle it.

i assume you just unscrew the drain plug, drain, screw the drain plug back in, pull the plastic fill port cap, and fill until it's just about to spill out?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The front differential has a drain and fill plug. Just take out the lower plug to drain it, put the plug back in and the refill with new fluid through the top plug until it starts pouring out. Once it stops pouring out put the plug back in. You will need a pump of some sort to get the fluid in the front differential. Any auto parts store will sell one and its usually located near the gear oil.

As for the rear it doesnt have a drain plug. You have to take the differential cover off to get the fluid out. Once the cover is off you need to get all of the old RTV off both the cover and differential casting. Apply new RTV and put the cover back on. With the rear the manual says to fill it approx 1 cm lower then the fill hole.

When I do both differentials I buy 4 quarts of Mobil 1 gear oil and still have some left in the last quart.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Correct. I use the RTV that's made just for gear oil. If I recall correctly it comes in a silver tube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My rear dif actually did have a plug. Popped it off, used the pump to drain it, refilled using dif fluid and friction modifier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to double check my dif cover, I could have sworn I saw a plug. If not, I guess I'll pull the cover. Just thinking ahead here, when removing the dif cover, would it be best to 'loosen' the bottom bolts to allow the oil to drain before attempting to rip the whole cover off at once, or is this not so easy with the RTV thats already on it?

Also, any suggestions in to lubricants for tight or rusted bolts? WD-40? Is there anything better?

The trucks under carriage is very rusty, I'm in CA, but this truck must have come from an eastern, or salty state before we purchased it. I had a mechanic bust a few bolt heads off trying to loosen them.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Also, any suggestions in to lubricants for tight or rusted bolts? WD-40? Is there anything better?
WD40 is just thin oil, use PB Blaster available at hardware and auto stores. Spray it on and let it sit for a couple hours. Or spray the night before and let it soak.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My rear dif actually did have a plug. Popped it off, used the pump to drain it, refilled using dif fluid and friction modifier.

Yeah its got one plug. Its the fill plug. What engine/drivetrain do you have. If you dont have Quadra Drive II then you dont need the friction modifier. I always take the cover off just to get all the fluid out. I also clean out all the debris on the magnet on the inside of the differential. You cant do this by just pumping the fluid out.

I'm going to double check my dif cover, I could have sworn I saw a plug. If not, I guess I'll pull the cover. Just thinking ahead here, when removing the dif cover, would it be best to 'loosen' the bottom bolts to allow the oil to drain before attempting to rip the whole cover off at once, or is this not so easy with the RTV thats already on it?

The trucks under carriage is very rusty, I'm in CA, but this truck must have come from an eastern, or salty state before we purchased it. I had a mechanic bust a few bolt heads off trying to loosen them.
You really don't need to loosen the lower bolts first. All the bolts can come out and the diff cover will still have a seal due to the RTV. You will have to pry the cover off before the gear oil starts to drain out. Just be careful not to bend the diff cover. As far as a rust penetrator I always use PB Blaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts