Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share this information with the group. I contacted my dealership about upgrading my differential ratio from the 3.07 to something else. I got the quote for going to 3.73 but I imagine you could go to a 4.10 if you really wanted to.

Grand total parts and labor...$2,100.

No I haven't had mine upgraded yet so I can't answer any performance questions. I'm looking ahead to the winter when I probably won't be doing any offroad trips.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You are becoming quite the off-road afficianado. I'm back to pavement driving.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Man won't that REALLY mess up you gas millage??

You'd be better taking the 2 grand and upgrading to a Hemi?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just wanted to share this information with the group. I contacted my dealership about upgrading my differential ratio from the 3.07 to something else. I got the quote for going to 3.73 but I imagine you could go to a 4.10 if you really wanted to.

Grand total parts and labor...$2,100.

No I haven't had mine upgraded yet so I can't answer any performance questions. I'm looking ahead to the winter when I probably won't be doing any offroad trips.
Thats a lot of money just to change from 3.07's to 3.73's. You should ask around and see if a friend or family member knows how to properly install a ring and pinion. That would save you a tremendous amount of money. If you were in my area I could get them installed for a few bucks over the cost of parts.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Man won't that REALLY mess up you gas millage??

Actually upgrading to 3.73 gears will bring his gas mileage back to normal since he is running larger tires (meaning the mileage he got stock, prior to the lift and tires). Now if he were to install something lower like a 4.10 or 4.56 then his gas mileage would go down.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Actually upgrading to 3.73 gears will bring his gas mileage back to normal since he is running larger tires (meaning the mileage he got stock, prior to the lift and tires). Now if he were to install something lower like a 4.10 or 4.56 then his gas mileage would go down.
Ahhh .. good point! I missed that then the gear swap even at 2 grand will pay for itself eventually

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a Hemi upgrade would be a bit more than two grand. Plus you have to add a different transmission, transfer case AND the gear change. I think that would end up being more like 10 grand!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think a Hemi upgrade would be a bit more than two grand. Plus you have to add a different transmission, transfer case AND the gear change. I think that would end up being more like 10 grand!
He he!

I agree .. but I meant trade in the WHOLE Commander for a newer one with a Hemi :)

I missed the mods he has though that' a big investment ... that's one reason I am hesitant to do big mods on new vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts