Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weekend before Memorial day the family and I packed up the ol XK and headed to Vernal Utah. Nearby is Dinosaur National Monument which lies partially in north eastern Utah with the majority of the park being in north western Colorado. We didnt feel like dragging the popup out so we rented a cabin in Vernal for a few days. My wife's sister, her husband and son were able to come also.
The first day we set out to a very chilly 37° morning to tour the Colorado side of the monument and explore the Yampa Bench Road which is advised to high clearance vehicles only, why I'm not sure but heres what we saw.(the pics are kinda rough, really overcast day)

The beginning was upon that ridge, several swich backs and about 1500 ft of elv. drop later we ended up here, down in the river basin.

According to the ranger these are some of the oldest rocks in North America the Dino bones found here are much older than when Trex roamed.

First stop was the old Chew Ranch where i spotted this on an old wagon, must be where the term "brake shoe" came from?

Next were the Pool Creek Petroglyphs, Faintly in center of photo. These were about 30ft from the ground.

Steamboat Rock

Whispering Cave

Looking straight up outside the cave

Looking back from Echo Park

Castle Park Overlook

Harding Hole and The Yampa River

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wagon Wheel Point

Burnt out forest, looked post apocalyptic

End of day, 35 miles of slippery red clay road 61 miles in the Monument 6hrs driving

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the second day we drove the Utah side of things, many more great pertoglyphs. I'll get the pics up in tomorrow.

·
2,248 Posts
Great pictures. That is my kind of off road expedition. I enjoy having the off road ability in case it is needed along with the comfort provided by the Commander. Seeing that kind of country is for me what expedition off roading is all about. The perfect trip like yours would be to set up a basecamp with a motorhome and spend days just exploring the country.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Great Pictures, I hope to get out there soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day two we drove through the Utah side, unfortunately the visitors center where a large amount of dino bones are housed is closed due to a small sinking foundation problem. Good news though they recieved some Obama money to help rebuild so soon it will be back in service. along the Monuments main road there are some fossils still in the rock walls which we checked out before heading over to Island Park Rd which is mostly graded dirt road ending at the Green River.

First stop, McKee Springs Petroglyphs pecked here long ago by the Fremont people, one has to wonder exactly what story is being depicted in each of these illustrations.Too bad some people cannot respect what this area holds, the choose to vandelize it instead.

McKee Springs

My little girl reading the story

Drove a few miles further and stopped along the Green river at Island Park Campground which is tent camp only and really secluded, according to the rules a backcountry permit is reqire dto stay here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After leaving The Island Park Campground we back Tracked to a Fork in the road and drove up to the Island Park overlook. Family picture time, The four on the left are myself, my Wife, Eight month son, and seven year old daughter. The other three are inlaws.

Further down the road we ened up at the old Ruple Ranch next to the river again.

Loaded up and ready to head home

Just a couple more that my Daughter took, shes really got an eye for interesting photos.

And one shot of the snow moving in as we left Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

In all it was a good trip, there is much more to explore than what we had time for. For sure we will go back hopefully with another 4x so we can explore the more remote areas.
Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pictures. That is my kind of off road expedition. I enjoy having the off road ability in case it is needed along with the comfort provided by the Commander. Seeing that kind of country is for me what expedition off roading is all about. The perfect trip like yours would be to set up a basecamp with a motorhome and spend days just exploring the country.
I couldnt agree more, the rocky trails near my house are fun but this stuff was more enjoyable for my entire family, the KOA we stayed at was really nice, I dont know if theyre all like that but it left a good impression with me. Much more back country expedition off roading but I was the only 4x in our group so I didnt feel like comfortable going after it, Im not anywhere prepared like you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Pictures, I hope to get out there soon.
Thanks, Next time I have a chance of going I may do it in the early fall when weather is more predictable. The Rangers kept on stressing "if it rains while your on these backroads it may be quite a while before you can go any where. We aint gonna come lookin for you either!" I believe them by looking at the rutts left behind by other vehicles clearly trying to make it out, full bore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those are great pics. I was about the same age as your daughter the first time I got to go to Dinasaur...it is one of my favorite places in the Great State of Colorado. Thanks for sharing and bringing back memories for me!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
NO MATTER said:
First stop, McKee Springs Petroglyphs pecked here long ago by the Fremont people, one has to wonder exactly what story is being depicted in each of these illustrations.Too bad some people cannot respect what this area holds, the choose to vandelize it instead.
Have you seen the series Ancient_Aliens (Tuesdays at 8 PM) on the History Channel ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you seen the series Ancient_Aliens (Tuesdays at 8 PM) on the History Channel ?
I havewatched that and I was wondering while looking at some of the depictions namely the swirly looking things and how some of the "people" appear to have antennas or something upon thier heads? Not really head dresses or animal racks. The truth is out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts