Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This may be a stupid question, but I've got a 2009 Commander Limited that I bought not too long ago (June 2014.) I was detailing under the hood today and noticed that the transmission fluid dipstick was missing. I've heard of other cars not coming with a dipstick so that you have to go to get it checked somewhere but I wasn't sure if this was the case here. Do I need to order a replacement or is this normal? Seems odd that they would just leave the tube open at the end and not plug it if that's the case...any helps appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you have the 3.7L engine, you don't get a dipstick, but the tube should have a cap on it.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Mercede's designed (Chryslered built) NAG1/WA580 trans, that came with the 3.7L engine, is extemely sensative to overfill. Because of that, they cap off the end of the dipstick tube and make it a "Dealer Service Only" item.

If you have a 3.7L V6, then your plug is missing.

If you have a V8, then you have the RE545 trans that is NOT so sensative to overfill (but overfilling it can be very bad for the trans), it came with a dip stick and thus your dipstick must be missing.

You can service and check the NAG1/WA580 trans for the V6 yourself, but it is past the average consumer to do it, even if you change your own oil and spark plugs.

You need the special tool that is a dip stick (BUT its doesn't cap off the tube so you can't leave it in there like typical dipsticks), I got one off ebay for $25. You need the FSM chart for fluid level in mm vs the temp of the fluid, I downloaded it off the internet. You need an expensive scan tool that can read the fluid temp from the sensor in the trans, or in my case, I installed a trans temp gauge on my vehicle reading the temp from the fluid in the pan. Then you measure and add, but NEVER EVER go one mm over the max line in the chart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have a clue where the hell you can find one of these caps?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Anybody have a clue where the hell you can find one of these caps?
Ummm, your local Dealership. You have the V6 in your Commander then?

Lube the o-ring on the cap with some ATF+4 before twisting it on.

Actually you don't have to buy a quart of ATF+4 if you don't have any, a drop of any oil will do, including WD-40, but just a drop, unless its ATF+4 you don't want it running down the tube into the pan, but even a drop of engine oil or WD-40 is NOT going to hurt the 9 quarts of ATF+4 in the trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts