Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where this fits in, so I'll just post this here.

Since purchasing my Commander back in December, my wife has decided she likes it and as such has pretty much absconded with it. I'm stuck, of course, with her old car. Its a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. It was great when we first got it, but once it hit 100,000 miles, the thing has started to totally fall apart. Its currently got about 135,000 miles on it and needs a new CV joint, some transmission work, and a couple of other minor tweaks - which will cost somewhere between $3 and 5k depending on where I take it.

That strikes me as a perfect downpayment on ANOTHER Jeep (Commander, or GC, or whatever). And so, I've been looking around. For some reason, I can't get the same deals now in late January/early Feb that I could in December.

As luck would have it, I ended up on a connection through Detroit last night. The lady sitting next to me was the Mayor of a Detroit suburb on her way to DC to meet with Obama. We struck up a great conversation for 3 hours (ugh, we were stuck on the runway) and over the course of it we discussed the auto industry and of course my recent Jeep Purchase, my love of all my old jeeps, and my desire to purchase another one (which was probably made by her constitutents). She suggested, since the dealers on the East Coast are playing games, to buy direct from the factory. She said I could fly to Detroit and make the purchase direct from Chrysler and pick it up at the factory and then drive it back.

Anyway, I've been trying to research this option tonight, but haven't seen anything about it. What she described sounded almost like the European pick up options you can get on Mercedes and BMW and Volvo, etc (all byt te nice vacation to europe).

Anyone know if this can be done?? Is there a savings?? How much will they negotiate?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was she the mayor of Southfield? She's a piece of work!
The only factory pick up program I 'm aware of is with Corvettes. But you can only watch you vehicle being built, and the devilvery is at the corvette museum, near by.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was she the mayor of Southfield? She's a piece of work!
Haha! She couldn't be worse than Kwame could she? What's up with the Politicians around here?

Sorry mcformica, wish I had an answer for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh do tell.

Yes she was.

I was actually impressed, as she seemed like a nice enough person and actually self critical enough of Kwame and Charlie Rangle, etc. Based on my 3 hours with her, I walked away impressed. Had a good conversation about education, issues with labor unions in education (and the auto industry), tax policy, John Dingell and Henry Waxman and Nancy Pelosi, whether Obama will be successful or not, agricultural policy, food policy and school lunch programs, alternative educational programs and charter schools and influencing and enticing kids to stay in school and get a job when they grow up in a family/household where for 3 or 4 generations no one has ever worked and has only lived off the state.

Actually, I walked away incredibly impressed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sounds like the old buy a brand new WWII jeep still in the crate story to me :)

I have not worked in the auto industry for a few years ... but here in Canada the "pick up at the factory" story was a myth at that time ...

.... not even emloyees of the factory who worked on their own cars could drive a new car away from the plant that they bought.

The cars HAD to be trucked to a dealer and paper work signed there before they were allowed to be driven.

It could be different now I guess ... but if so it's news to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My bet is that ONLY politicians can get away with that scam... not us mushrooms and once you try and get plates in your native state, they'll tax the beeee hey sus outta ya. In the end you'll be wishing you just went through the dealer.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Haha! She couldn't be worse than Kwame could she? What's up with the Politicians around here?

Sorry mcformica, wish I had an answer for you.
From what I recall she was a backer of kwame. But hopefully we have gotten rid of him. He just got out of jail, and is in Texas trying to get a job. Good riddens to him, the damage he has done to Michigans image will take years to repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts