Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through LOTS if not all of the cross rail threads on here after discovering on Sunday night that my Rail-grab feet won't work on the Commander's flush rails. I have seen the welded and fabbed variations of homemade cross rails.

It got me thinking why not just put a spacer and direct mount some square tubing to the rail? So I test fitted it last night and it seems to work just fine. In essence I used a large washer to grab the inside of the channel, a 3/8" x 3" grade 8 bolt, then 9 grade eight washers as a spacer (will replace with an aluminum spacer today), the square tubing and a nut + washer on top.

It isn't pretty but it works and I can make it largely with things I have in my garage. For a cost of less than ten bucks and by simply making two cuts on my tubing it seems like a winner. Why NOT do this???

·
Registered
809 Posts
. Pics?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think your hardcore jeepers would utilize this idea. But if it isnt pretty,
others may scoff the idea.
Or others, like myself, may improve upon the design and polish the concept. I was actually just thinking about fabbing something like this to transport my mtn bike to the lake trails- not a distance worth what the OEM bars would cost, but if I could rig something for relatively cheap... well then I'd be in business.

But it still has to look good. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously this won't do it justice but this is a crude drawing of what I mounted up as a test last night. The black obviously being the channel on the roof.

Lets try that again, with just a link to the picture

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TM. Welcome to the Forum. Please introduce yourself and tell us about
your XK experience. Introduce yourself to the forum

I think your hardcore jeepers would utilize this idea. But if it isnt pretty,
others may scoff the idea.
As far as my experience, I bought the thing last Saturday when I discovered a problem with the BMW x3 I was driving could be a 3k+ repair. I traded it in later that day.

It is a 2007 with 33k on it. 2WD v6 dark blue. I already added a rear bike rack and have a load warrior waiting to be mounted to the rails in question.

I am new to the XK but not new to Jeeps at all. I have a heavily modded TJ that has been built by myself. Tube fenders front and back, rockers/sliders, truck top, upgraded axles, air lockers, fully skidded, etc. I'll get a pic up of my toy sometime soon.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Obviously this won't do it justice but this is a crude drawing of what I mounted up as a test last night. The black obviously being the channel on the roof.

Lets try that again, with just a link to the picture
LMAO. I like it. What kind/size tubing are you using? Sufficient, or flex over the width of the roof?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of a rear facing light bar so I don't add extra weight to
the roof rack. I see a lot of uses for this. Wish I were a welder.....
I have a welder and have done a bit just not sure I trust it for this application. It is one thing to scratch the tj because something breaks off, Howevere this is our "nice car" so I am trying to avoid welding parts for it just yet. I likely will weld brackets later on, Noe I mainly just want that basket mounted up top.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is not a bad idea at all, I've been tinkering in my head on how I can pull it off. Instead of square tubing, I want to use rectangular tubing. There has to be some plastic style "caps" that will fit over the ends to make them more "finished" to the eye, just haven't found them yet. Great idea, op. let's see pics when you are done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts