Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how to turn off the seatbelt chime? Im sooo busy this week and I dont know when I am going to get a chance to read the manual. Obviously putting your seatbelt on is one way, but I have a buddy who is pretty large and sometimes doesnt wear it, and that thing beeps unless both up front riders have it clicked....anyone know how to turn this off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

Get in the commander and close the door. Put your keys in the ingnition, but don't turn the key yet. Buckle your seat belt and start the engine. Once it is running, you have 60 seconds to unbuckle the belt 3 times. Once you have it should be off. I had to do it a couple of times before it took.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: seatbelt chime

i hope that isnt an early April Fools joke....thanks for the info
pwloomi said:
Get in the commander and close the door. Put your keys in the ingnition, but don't turn the key yet. Buckle your seat belt and start the engine. Once it is running, you have 60 seconds to unbuckle the belt 3 times. Once you have it should be off. I had to do it a couple of times before it took.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

I was looking over my shoulder to make sure that nobody was watching me do it, because I felt so stupid. I don't know how they come up with this stuff. I programmed a keyless remote for a 4Runner in the past and I had to do all kinds of stuff including opening and closing the doors several times.

Welcome to the group!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

I've tried to turn off the annoying bell a few times and it hasn't worked. I wear my seatbelt ALL the time and hate the warning..

I'll try again. It is a silly little ritual...

Commo
Dearborn, MI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

shyster said:
i hope that isnt an early April Fools joke....thanks for the info
Don't feel bad... I have heard on the F-series Fords you have to unbuckle and buckle the seatbelt nine times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

keep trying this, it takes a couple times to work. but once the chime is gone, my god does it make a difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

Not a joke, it does work. I had to do the same thing with mine. Took 2 times to complete. I was hiding behind some other vehicle like a dummy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

shyster said:
anyone know how to turn off the seatbelt chime? Im sooo busy this week and I dont know when I am going to get a chance to read the manual. Obviously putting your seatbelt on is one way, but I have a buddy who is pretty large and sometimes doesnt wear it, and that thing beeps unless both up front riders have it clicked....anyone know how to turn this off?
Get a seat belt extender. Should be free from the dealer.

Your buddy should wear his belt with the extender.

Don't risk his life and your estate for his convenience or laziness.

Seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

SYCOHEMI said:
Get a seat belt extender. Should be free from the dealer.

Your buddy should wear his belt with the extender.

Don't risk his life and your estate for his convenience or laziness.

Seriously.
As an insurance agent I can tell you that if he is injured in your vehicle (seatbelt or not) then you are liable for his injuries. You know, if your wife doesn't want to wear a seatbelt then what are you going to do. We all know who is really in charge, but you really shouldn't allow others not to wear the belt. You are potentially risking everything you own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

I don't wear mine hardly at all, I live out in the country and the chances of me having an accident very, very slim, unless it's a deer. When I'm on the highway or going into Chicago I'll wear it. But out here I don't see the need and the chime is driving me nuts. I tried this today and it didn't work. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

Redhouse said:
I don't wear mine hardly at all, I live out in the country and the chances of me having an accident very, very slim, unless it's a deer. When I'm on the highway or going into Chicago I'll wear it. But out here I don't see the need and the chime is driving me nuts. I tried this today and it didn't work. :confused:
That's a No Go. Most accidents happen with in a couple miles from home. Get in the habbit of wearing your seat belt. I'll feel much better.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

We've had several deaths during and after Thanksgiving in our area on I-95 involving SUV's. In every case the people that died were not wearing seat belts, their vehicles flipped, they were tossed from the vehicle and died, sometimes by being thrown in opposite lane and being run over. The bottom line is this, we in SUV's are better protected then most but ONLY if we remain within the vehicle. I wear my seat belt all the time and no longer consider it an inconvenience. john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

i cant get it to work for the life of me..had 3 people try it for a good 20-30mins. anyone have slighty more detailed instructions? and is the 3 unbluckles counting the 'initial' buckle when you first get in the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

I got it to work today, while sitting in the drivers seat, I buckled up with it in off, then I started it and unbuckled 3 times, each time it chimes, after the third chime, I shut it off with it still buckled and it chimed one time. I unbuckled and started it back up and it worked, no more chimes. I think the reason it took me a few times is I was rushing, between each unbuckle give it a second, slow down you have 60 seconds to do it and it should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

I had to do it about 15 times before it worked... I read the directions in the manual 15 times too just to make sure I was reading right.... just keep trying it will work. I never did hear the chime that told me it worked though. All the sudden I got in and viola.

Everyone harping on the seatbelt use.... give it one try and then give it a rest. We humans are strangely stubborn about some things. I sometimes wear mine and sometimes don't. I know I risk my life and a ticket but sometimes that's just the way it is old habits are hard to break. I eat what I want when I want and smoke sometimes and quit others. Life is all about risk and doing your thing, nobody likes to be preached at. I must agree about safegarding those riding with you though and that makes it hard to not lead by example, so that's usually when I wear mine or when I see a cop I put it on and don't take it off until I need my wallet at a fast food joint. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Re: seatbelt chime

kfbagt said:
As an insurance agent I can tell you that if he is injured in your vehicle (seatbelt or not) then you are liable for his injuries. You know, if your wife doesn't want to wear a seatbelt then what are you going to do. We all know who is really in charge, but you really shouldn't allow others not to wear the belt. You are potentially risking everything you own.
Related to that... as a National Safety Council Defensive Driving Instructor, your chances of surviving a crash with your seat belt is much higher than if you were not wearing it. Every class I teach people say that they think that the seatbelt will make matters worse. I would rather survive and have internal injuries than to be put 6 feet under!!

I personally feel naked without mine and I always have.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top