Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we should all wear our seat belts........ok everybody? Now, i said it......but, has ANYONE had success with disconnecting the chime on the 2007 models?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
This was discussed in a couple of other threads. I believe the ability to turn off the seatbelt chime was discontinued after the 2006 models. DCX probably decided that it was a liability if someone got injured.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
jeep5253 said:
This was discussed in a couple of other threads. I believe the ability to turn off the seatbelt chime was discontinued after the 2006 models. DCX probably decided that it was a liability if someone got injured.
I guess the search function does not work in this forum because we seen to have half a dozen threads on every subject...

I don't mean to sound rude because really I am not, but I am the only one tired of seeing the same subjects started over and over again?

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I guess the search function does not work in this forum because we seen to have half a dozen threads on every subject...

I don't mean to sound rude because really I am not, but I am the only one tired of seeing the same subjects started over and over again?
No. I was getting perturbed about it too, but when I said something about it I got chewed out by some members. So now I have just decided to live with it and offer my assistance. It would be nice if people would learn to use the search. It would also be nice if we had a BETTER search program. The one we have is not so great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.......im done

sorry if you have seen this thread be4,,,,,,,,but, i used the search prior to this thread and there were no definite solutions, only "try this". my post ask for a proven solution and so far no one has had succcess.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
t bone said:
sorry if you have seen this thread be4,,,,,,,,but, i used the search prior to this thread and there were no definite solutions, only "try this". my post ask for a proven solution and so far no one has had succcess.
It is nothing personal, but if someone had a fix they would have posted it. And if they hadn't, that would still have been the post thread to post your additional/new question.

I am all for asking questions, most of what I have learned in here was from asking questions, I guess I was just suggesting that we post questions in the general threads that already exist and save new threads for ideas, thoughts and questions that are not addressed in other areass.

The other thing we need to be careful of is how we title the thread. There are 26 threads with the word "CHIME", By titling the thread "SEAT BELT CHIME" and putting all related discussion in that thread it would be a lot easier for everone who wants to know about that particular chime as there many different chimes.

It is like the two threads running side by side on the Cold Air Intake for the 4.7, If all the discussion was in one thread then you or anyone else wouldn't have to answer the same question in two differnet places.

In the long run it will help others doing searches as they will not have to look at a dozen threads on one subject to get the answer to thier question.

Please do not take this personal as I am not without fault in this area, just trying to keep it from getting to sloppy and time consuming looking for solutions.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
t bone said:
...but, i used the search prior to this thread and there were no definite solutions, only "try this". my post ask for a proven solution and so far no one has had succcess.
There IS a proven solution -- wear your seatbelt!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did it! seat belt chime..2007

for those interested: seat belt chime gone! 2007, 4.7L. took 4 attempts.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
t bone said:
for those interested: seat belt chime gone! 2007, 4.7L. took 4 attempts.
And how did you do it? Cutting the wires to the dinger doesn't count! :D

I have no desire to do it myself but curious to know so when the next person asks...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no wiring cutting..........follow the 06 manual BUT turn the car on instead of the acc. mode mentioned

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
t bone said:
no wiring cutting..........follow the 06 manual BUT turn the car on instead of the acc. mode mentioned
I wonder if the change is due to the addition of Tip Start -- which prevents people trying to start the vehicle once it's already running -- in the 2007 model year?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sometimes, while reading my posts, you will note I mention something along the lines of: the Commander is at the hanger, or I was working in the hangar.
Somewhere in here there are pictures of some of my fleet at the hangar.

Anyways, the reason I mention it is there are times I gotta go hit the head, which is the admin office about 1/2 mile away and round the bend.
To do my share to contribute to global warming (yeah, right) I often drive to the can.
Since I'm on a taxiway, I'm way towards the side of the ramp and maybe 10 MPH.
I care not tangle with a spinning prop and a car is a visitor on a taxiway, you know, right of way and all that.
I know, whats the point.....the point is I don't wear my seatbelt to get to the head.
The Commander has a 'enhanced belt reminder system'.
This means I get to listen to ding ding ding unless I put the belt on.
Please, safetycrats, let me finish.
While reading the manual for my Magnum the other day, I tripped over a small blurb: Disabling the belt reminder.
Followed the directions, it works! Chime sounds at startup and then shuts up, and stays that way.
Happy joy.
Sooo, I'm reading the manual for my 07 Commander yesterday and find...disabling the belt reminder, see section whatever.
Guess what? No section explaining the process. I guess it got forgotten at the printer and likely all 07 manuals have it missing. No joy.
The majic of the internet allowed me to read the 08 and 09 manuals and lo and behold, the disable section exists.
The proceedure is the same as my Dodge.
So, if you want it to behave like they used to, with the chime only at startup w/no belt and thats it, here ya go.
If you mess this up, you have to do it over.
1. Enter vehicle, close door.
2. Buckle seat belt.
3. Insert key and turn on...wait for seat belt light to go off.
4. Unbuckle, Rebuckle belt latch 3 times within 10 seconds ending with belt buckled.
5. Turn key off, most of the time a single chime will sound, indicating success.
6. Remove key, unbuckle, open door.

Go test your work in a vacant lot, you may have to do it again.....took me three tries.

Rob

Again, I am NOT condoning operating without a belt....we are all adults here.
This is just to eliminate a sometimes annoying trait and obviously Jeep felt we might find it annoying.
They created a way to shut it off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sometimes, while reading my posts, you will note I mention something along the lines of: the Commander is at the hanger, or I was working in the hangar.
Somewhere in here there are pictures of some of my fleet at the hangar.

Anyways, the reason I mention it is there are times I gotta go hit the head, which is the admin office about 1/2 mile away and round the bend.
To do my share to contribute to global warming (yeah, right) I often drive to the can.
Since I'm on a taxiway, I'm way towards the side of the ramp and maybe 10 MPH.
I care not tangle with a spinning prop and a car is a visitor on a taxiway, you know, right of way and all that.
I know, whats the point.....the point is I don't wear my seatbelt to get to the head.
The Commander has a 'enhanced belt reminder system'.
This means I get to listen to ding ding ding unless I put the belt on.
Please, safetycrats, let me finish.
While reading the manual for my Magnum the other day, I tripped over a small blurb: Disabling the belt reminder.
Followed the directions, it works! Chime sounds at startup and then shuts up, and stays that way.
Happy joy.
Sooo, I'm reading the manual for my 07 Commander yesterday and find...disabling the belt reminder, see section whatever.
Guess what? No section explaining the process. I guess it got forgotten at the printer and likely all 07 manuals have it missing. No joy.
The majic of the internet allowed me to read the 08 and 09 manuals and lo and behold, the disable section exists.
So, if you want it to behave like they used to, with the chime only at startup w/no belt and thats it, here ya go.
2. Buckle seat belt.
4. Unbuckle, Rebuckle belt latch 3 times within 10 seconds ending with belt buckled.
5. Turn key off, most of the time a single chime will sound, indicating success.

Go test your work in a vacant lot, you may have to do it again.....took me three tries.

Rob

Again, I am NOT condoning operating without a belt....we are all adults here.
This is just to eliminate a sometimes annoying trait and obviously Jeep felt we might find it annoying.
They created a way to shut it off.

Worked like a charm!! Thank you kindly!

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
2. Buckle seat belt.

Rob
Removed links, merged threads.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts