Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I am really sad to see what I got in the mail the other day. Jeep put out an EXCELLENT glossy magazine about offroading and jeeps. Came to me in the mail completely unexpected (I didnt order it). Has some nice write ups about Moab and other places BUT while it covered all other models it DIDNT cover COMMANDER at all. One little blurp deep in the magazine with no comment at all about its offroad or other worthiness. Seems like Jeep wants to keep Commander UNDER THE WRAPS. Now, I happen to own a TJ and a GC besides my Commander BUT my Commander is my pride and joy for everything other then serious offroading. Hard for me to understand why Jeep would ignore its FLAGSHIP product. john

·
Registered
717 Posts
Same thing I noticed. It was very obvious that they've decided to put the Commander on the back burner. But in the same vein they didn't discuss the Patriot or the Compass either. Or maybe they're just glossing the new products. The new Liberty and the CRD Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The Jeep magazine is half marketing materials and have lifestyle magazine. They typically only highlight the new vehicles... they want to get the word out about them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's frustrating to see how Jeep has marketed the Commander period. I've never understood how the Big 3 Auto-savants get it wrong so often. As far as I'm concerned, the Commander is basically what the 05 Grand Cherokee should have been, and as things look, will be for the 2010 model year (3 rows of seats, traditional Jeep box style). It will be interesting to see what they do with the name.

Seems they market the models everyone knows about and wants, but neglect the new unfamiliar models. Even entering it's 3rd model year, most people dont know about the Commander. What is amazing though is that despite a terrible attempt to market this vehicle, I am seeing more and more Commanders on the road, almost equalling the 05 Grand.

Interestingly, has anyone looked at the new ads on the Jeep page? Pretty good, show all models equally, but I dont see them on TV anywhere.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Bulldog9 said:
It's frustrating to see how Jeep has marketed the Commander period. I've never understood how the Big 3 Auto-savants get it wrong so often. As far as I'm concerned, the Commander is basically what the 05 Grand Cherokee should have been, and as things look, will be for the 2010 model year (3 rows of seats, traditional Jeep box style). It will be interesting to see what they do with the name.

Seems they market the models everyone knows about and wants, but neglect the new unfamiliar models. Even entering it's 3rd model year, most people dont know about the Commander. What is amazing though is that despite a terrible attempt to market this vehicle, I am seeing more and more Commanders on the road, almost equalling the 05 Grand.

Interestingly, has anyone looked at the new ads on the Jeep page? Pretty good, show all models equally, but I dont see them on TV anywhere.
Might be a regional. Commanders are aplenty here... and most people are figuring out that they AREN'T a Hummer. There are three on my street alone... a 2006 Limited down the street, my 2007 Limited, and a 2007 Sport directly across the street.

The current Jeep ad being played on TV here is an ad for 2007 Commanders and Grand Cherokees. It's an off-shoot of the sandbox commercial.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we are moving to New Mexico in early January. I am looking forward to playing in the snow a little further north in my Commander and the trails in Las Cruces in my TJ. Giving our GC to our son. john

·
Registered
527 Posts
YB Normyl said:
This one has the Commander in it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PPNpAS-aM

What I find interesting is that Consumer Reports recommends 6 Chrysler's and 3 of them, Chrysler Aspen, Jeep Compass and Jeep Commander are all on Chrysler's kill list.
I was suprised to see CR endorse a vehicle I liked. Last time that happend was the 85GTI I think. My wifes, car is a CR favorite though. It will be interesting to see how this effects Commander Sales, as much of the general population reads CR like the Bible. I on the other hand treat CR same as I do the Qur'an.:eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
John said:
Well, we are moving to New Mexico in early January. I am looking forward to playing in the snow a little further north in my Commander and the trails in Las Cruces in my TJ. Giving our GC to our son. john
Welcome to NM John! Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Might be a regional. Commanders are aplenty here... and most people are figuring out that they AREN'T a Hummer. There are three on my street alone... a 2006 Limited down the street, my 2007 Limited, and a 2007 Sport directly across the street.

The current Jeep ad being played on TV here is an ad for 2007 Commanders and Grand Cherokees. It's an off-shoot of the sandbox commercial.
When I went looking for a Jeep to purchase I had never heard of hte Commander, Once I saw it I was sold on it. I never saw an ad prior to that but you are correct, there are quite a few here now and I see ads for the Commander and the Liberty daily on TV

·
Registered
93 Posts
YB Normyl said:
This one has the Commander in it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PPNpAS-aM

What I find interesting is that Consumer Reports recommends 6 Chrysler's and 3 of them, Chrysler Aspen, Jeep Compass and Jeep Commander are all on Chrysler's kill list.
I am pretty sure there are nine Chrysler vehicles on the list.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, there were nine vehicles

Chrysler 300 (V8)
Chrysler Aspen
Chrysler Crossfire
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dodge Charger (V8 and V6 - I assume they meant 3.5 - otherwise why separate them out?)
Dodge Durango
Jeep® Commander
Jeep® Compass.

But my question is...

why wouldn't they recommend the V6 300, Magnum, the Grand Cherokee, the Patriot, or the Caliber.

God I hate CR.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
CanadianJeepYJ said:
But my question is...

why wouldn't they recommend the V6 300, Magnum, the Grand Cherokee, the Patriot, or the Caliber.

God I hate CR.
It's a weird thing, when we were building the Intrepid, Concorde, LHS and 300M the Concorde would come out on top for quality by a fair margin. Now they were all based on the same platform and used pretty much the same parts, the Concorde and LHS were the closest of all so why the difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bulldog9 said:
I on the other hand treat CR same as I do the Qur'an.:eek:
We do not send the messengers except as deliverers of good news, as well as warners. Those who believe and reform have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.
Quran, Chapter 6, Verse 48

"...You must understand your enemy....You must understand why he acts....that way when they are shooting at you....you don't hesitate, you don't worry, or think...you just service him and move on to the next customer..."
Ssgt. Micheal Horner, somewhere in northern Kuwait during the FIRST Gulf War. Was in the Humvee with him...:D
(This is from my memory and might not be 'exactly' what Mike said...but it's close)

Oh..that's the tie-in....the HUMVEE (which is the ultimate sand machine). Wonder what the mighty Consumer Reports would have rated it????

Undrpsi
(Jay in NC)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts