Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried disconnecting their swaybars in their XK's while offroading? i was gonna try the last time i went wheelin' but i was worried that my brake lines weren't long enough for the added articulation it may add. I'm curious how much this will help my XK in keeping all 4 wheels on the ground.

also, does anyone know of a good universal sway bar quick disconnect kit that will work well with the XK? or if there a kit specifically made for us?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Excellent questions! I have wondered the same thing myself. I think 4.7 Commander was looking into longer brake lines.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I know that in the rear, at least, if you disconnect them sway bars, and you're lifted, I could definitely see the brake lines blowing. I brought this up a while back, but nothing's been done about it. Custom seems to be the only way to go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sciron4x4 said:
I know that in the rear, at least, if you disconnect them sway bars, and you're lifted, I could definitely see the brake lines blowing. I brought this up a while back, but nothing's been done about it. Custom seems to be the only way to go.

yeah, i think you're right. i'm gonna look into getting longer brake lines. i want to also try to to find some quick disconnects that i can use on the XK. unbolting the sway bars should be easy enough but i'm just too darn lazy and would rather just pull out a pin than use a wrench when i'm at the trail head.

but if i can't find any, i have no fabrication skills. i think SOMEONE should make and sell them on his website... ehem... 4.7Commander... *cough* *cough* :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
im sorry i may have to agree with him. 4.7 commander how much are they.lol ;)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I think sciron4x4 is right, custom lines will likely need to be fabricated. The chassis-end of the lines appears to be a unique connection, not the typical compression fitting or banjo-bolt normally seen. One other potential conflict with the rear disconnected is whether or not the driver-side upper control arm will contact the top of the fuel tank skid plate at full droop. The skid plate can be notched but I don't know how close the actual tank is behind it. This could also be overcome with an adjustable, contoured control arm, perhaps.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I think 4.7 mentioned it earlier as a possibility, but he's still backlogged on bumpers, plates, and rails. I'd look for quick disconnects in mid 2009. =)

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i think JK lines are the same as the commander.

if thats correct then any SS brake lines for a JK will work.

i have not had enough time to check.

i'm also looking into disconnects on the sway-bars.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
kmax said:
I think sciron4x4 is right, custom lines will likely need to be fabricated. The chassis-end of the lines appears to be a unique connection, not the typical compression fitting or banjo-bolt normally seen. One other potential conflict with the rear disconnected is whether or not the driver-side upper control arm will contact the top of the fuel tank skid plate at full droop. The skid plate can be notched but I don't know how close the actual tank is behind it. This could also be overcome with an adjustable, contoured control arm, perhaps.
Does the Superlift use new CA's, or are you still utlizing the factory ones?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The Superlift uses the factory control arms. There's a bunch of bolt-on brackets that reposition them to keep them at close-to-stock angles. But the new springs potentially give more articulation than stock (if the sway bar were to be disco'd), thus the possible interference with the one control arm and the fuel tank skid plate. I hope 4.7 is right about the brake lines, that'd be great to just buy a set rather than have someone make them.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
porkfriedrice said:
what about the front sway bar? you guys think we'll benefit anything from disconnecting our fronts? seems like my front tires leave the ground more often than my rears.
I think there would be some benefit to it, that front bar is stout. At full droop, the steering knuckle contacts the lower spring plate on the strut. At worst, I think it would make some noise if you were to turn the wheel while one of them is at full droop, but I don't think it would hurt anything. One other thing to contemplate - because that bar is so stiff, when one wheel drives up over an obstacle (your video shows it perfectly), it lifts the whole jeep up, effectively decreasing your chances for dragging the undercarriage. That's especially useful with QDII where lifting a wheel is no big deal. Just my two cents. The front does not appear to have a brake line length problem. If I can get the rear lines on my XK done, I'd plan a trip to a local trail and test it out with the bars disco'd on both ends and see how it does.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
in the front with the sway bar disconnected you get about 2" more travel.

in the rear you get up to 4" with longer shocks. i have the bilstien 5150's out back with 12" of travel.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
That seems substantial considering the travel on a Commander is nothing to write home about. That could help a bunch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, this is all very good info.. another idea i was tossing around was getting those OME springs up front that would give me a "claimed" 2" lift. Then replacing my block spacer on my Superlift with my 2.5" RockyRoad spacer. this "should" bring my total front lift back to 4" (plus or minus a few mm's). this should "theoretically" give my Commander more travel up front. what you guys think?

·
Registered
807 Posts
4.7commander said:
in the front with the sway bar disconnected you get about 2" more travel.

in the rear you get up to 4" with longer shocks. i have the bilstien 5150's out back with 12" of travel.

did you try this or did you get this info from somewhere? do you know if the travel that you mentioned is the same no matter how much you are lifted? im guessing it wouldnt matter.
Also does anyone know if you do disconnect the one (front or back) would you have to do the other.....or could you just do one....i was thinking of trying the back only and see....I have my 2inch lift here and get in installed on monday, but was thinking that i might ticker with it over the weekend before the lift is on since i should have to worry about the brake lines just yet.
Im still yet to here, unless i missed it some where, if anyone has actually unhooked theirs (either front of back), and had it work.....and more importantly GET IT hooked back up.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I agree there may be unstability in certain situations. I think anyone willing to experiment with finding more suspension articulation is willing to take the risk. I drove a lifted '91 Wrangler for 5 years with no stabilizer bars at all. Understanding that's apples to oranges, I was never in a situation where on the verge of a rollover I was wishing for stabilizer bars. I'm very capable of rolling my commander even with the bars connected - I almost did a couple weeks ago on Tip-Over challenge in Moab. I admittedly had a terrible line and ended up backing down from the top. I will try it again next year with a better line and both bars disconnected.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts