Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually go by some variation of "Toasty" thanks to an old gamertag from high-school.
Perennially cash-strapped dude in his mid-twenties from south-central Pennsylvania, and although I've got a couple car-handy friends, I haven't done anything to a vehicle beyond occasionally change my own oil and headlight bulbs.
But I just got a dark green 2006 Jeep Commander Sport, and even though it seems like the red-headed step-child of the Jeep family, I've seen what some other people do with em, and I've just got this clawing in the back of my skull to do SOMETHING with it, although I have no idea what.
As far as I know, it's a stock 4.7L V8, Quadra Drive II, but a previous owner installed a proper towing package with a trailer-brake control on the dash, and slapped on a hood deflector at some point. It's got some work on the underside that needs to be done, but other than that, the only thing I've done so far has been to swap out the old, cracked tires it came with for some new Cooper Adventurer A/Ts.

Still debating whether or not a small lift is actually something I want or should do.

Picture is pre-tire change.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd say if you want to shake that 'step child' status, the first and easiest thing to do is lift that 'itch at least 2 inches. You'll be amazed at how proper she looks.

Oh, then lose that geriatric bug deflector thingy. Yeah.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I usually go by some variation of "Toasty" thanks to an old gamertag from high-school.
Perennially cash-strapped dude in his mid-twenties from south-central Pennsylvania, and although I've got a couple car-handy friends, I haven't done anything to a vehicle beyond occasionally change my own oil and headlight bulbs.
But I just got a dark green 2006 Jeep Commander Sport, and even though it seems like the red-headed step-child of the Jeep family, I've seen what some other people do with em, and I've just got this clawing in the back of my skull to do SOMETHING with it, although I have no idea what.
As far as I know, it's a stock 4.7L V8, Quadra Drive II, but a previous owner installed a proper towing package with a trailer-brake control on the dash, and slapped on a hood deflector at some point. It's got some work on the underside that needs to be done, but other than that, the only thing I've done so far has been to swap out the old, cracked tires it came with for some new Cooper Adventurer A/Ts.

Still debating whether or not a small lift is actually something I want or should do.

Picture is pre-tire change.
@Toastyy;

Welcome to the forum; Your XK reminds me a lot of mine when I first bought it 5 years ago - except your rims are a little nicer than mine were; I'll start by saying that Commanders were NOT properly rigged from the factory.

A minimum of a 2 inch lift and larger tires, are a necessity to get these SUV's sitting with a proper stance; A 2 inch spacer lift, such as the Rough Country lift is fairly cheap - around $200.00 or so for the kit.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much does a 2 inch lift affect the Commander's performance on the road?

I really like the aesthetic and off-road potential that a lift could give, but it's also my daily driver, so I'm trying to figure out how to balance that.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

I really like the aesthetic and off-road potential that a lift could give, but it's also my daily driver, so I'm trying to figure out how to balance that.
Not at all, in my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Drives great... you'd never notice it was altered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts