Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dissapointed that the owners of this site have sold my e-mail address.

How do I know this?

I used a company e-mail to sign up for this site. Now I am getting junk mail sent to that account every day. I have not used that e-mail address to sign up for any other site, period. I don't know what I was thinking, guess I just wanted to make the registration process easier if I had to confirm an e-mail.

I will still continue reading this site as I think there is good information here. But this situation not only makes me sad, it also is a real problem where I work.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Modern mail spamming programs only need to know a domain and then start sending permutations of usernames to that domain. Many will fail but some will succeed. I have gotten spam emails at accounts that I have NEVER registered on a site with.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am an Information Systems Director. We receive literally thousands of spam e-mails each day that get filtered by our anti-spam software. Spammers are getting more and more sophisticated in how they acquire your e-mail address and send spam. All it really takes is someone that you coorospond with via your company e-mail address to get hit by a sniffer worm that seeks out e-mail addresses on their server and then in turn relays it back to the spammer.

I really do not feel that this site sold your e-mail address. You may want to speak to your network administrator and have them beef up your security.

Just my opinion :cool:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
PeteC said:

How do I know this?

I used a company e-mail to sign up for this site. Now I am getting junk mail sent to that account every day. I have not used that e-mail address to sign up for any other site, period. I don't know what I was thinking, guess I just wanted to make the registration process easier if I had to confirm an e-mail.

I will still continue reading this site as I think there is good information here. But this situation not only makes me sad, it also is a real problem where I work.

Thanks guys.
You need to tape on the breaks cheif, you might want to check your browser to exclude spam or any unwanted emails before you start giving your hot sport opinions on this web site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify a few things. I sit smack dab in the middle of a major corporations IT department. This is a single case situation so far. This started within a couple of days of registering on this site. I have looked at all other possibilities. This e-mail address is not used lightly. Our spam, virus and worm protection may not be perfect but it is about the best around.

I will look further into this, but all indications are pointing here so far. If I find that I am wrong, I will publicly apologise on this site.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
kfbagt said:
I think this is a public forum and he has the right to state his opinions. Back off of the guy.

EXACTLY, AND I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK MY MIND

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Pete,
I'd be more worried about individuals creeping & peepin' on your computer itself for info. Which means "defence". You're not in the position to go on the offence here. Secure your stuff.:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Daytomann said:
hmm, been a member on here for about 10 months, I have noticed no increase in spam since then...
Same with me.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
PeteC said:

How do I know this?

Thanks guys.
We are just as disappointed that these accusations were posted in a thread rather than in a PM to admin. allowing us the opportunity to address any concerns before taking such a drastic step.

I'm sorry that you have been affected by spammers, which is almost a fact of life anymore, but I assure you, we HAVE NOT, DO NOT, and WILL NOT, reveal, sell, or trade the email addresses of our membership. I had an Administrator check to be certain the site was not hacked somehow as well - all is secure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This site has been great and I have not recieved any spam!

It is good to hear from the Moderator though that you do not sell our email address'.

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
And thanks to all of you for the vote of confidence AND for making this site great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
One Last Comment: I find it hard to believe JeepCommander.com sells or allows e-mail addresses to be obtained by thrid parties - How do I know this: Simple: I have been a member of this forum since June - I created the e-mail address I used to register specificly for this site - I have not registered on any other site with this address - I have NEVER received e-mail from any thrid party - Spam or other. Conclusion: This site has not sold my e-mail address. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
No spam here, but lately...I have posted, but the posts are not showing up on the board.

edit, like this post, it shows up as a reply under gereral discussions, but when I open general discussions, it's not there????

edit, geeze, I'm going nutso. I must of clicked the reply thingy, it changed the order of posts, just clicked it again and everythings showing up. Sorry for my "doh"!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Featured in Jeep Magazine w/commander

MARK MARTELLO said:
Selling Your Email Address Sucks I Will Remember This When It Comes Time To Buy A New Jeep Never.
I wasn't aware that Jeep ran this site. As to whether you ever buy another Jeep or not, this is the poorest excuse I ever heard to base a purchase on.

SPAM HAPPENS. If it is a big deal for you, when you register on any board, etc, use an email address that doesn't mean anything to you. I use Yahoo.com and about once a week I do a mass delete of around 3000-4000 emails. It's over in 10 seconds or less.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts