Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search the forums to find the exact answer I am looking and have found many allusions, but nothing that directly answers my question, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Do 2006 Commanders that have the 4.7L engine option ONLY come with QT-II or QD-II? Or it is possible to have a 4.7L engine option with the QT-I system? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
No, you cannot have a 4.7 with QTI.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Why would you want the QT I with the 4.7 Liter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't. That's what I specifically wanted to avoid. When looking in online ads, dealers and even owners rarely know what they are really talking about.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You got that right.
X2!!!! I walked around the lot of a local dealer this weekend. There was an 08 Rocky Mountain that did not have a window sticker on it. I asked the salesman a couple questions about the engine and the 4wd system and he looked at me like I was speaking a alien language. The salesman didn't even know the sticker price of the thing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hate when the people at the dealer know nothing about the vehicles they are trying to sell.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hate when the people at the dealer know nothing about the vehicles they are trying to sell.
It's forgivable (maybe) if you're shopping for a Honda or Kia. But UN-forgivable while looking at Jeeps, RV's and other non-off-the-shelf type vehicles.

One of the reasons I bought my XK out of town was that local salespeople get the deer-in-the-headlights look with the simplest technical questions.

I called a few places with specific things I wanted in the vehicle of choice, and all I ever got was pushy salesmen. The funniest was someone in Spokane. (which is 3 hours north of here) It was a simple list: Gotta have a: A) hitch, B) sunroof, and C) a transfer case with neutral so I can tow it behind the coach. Anything beyond that was a bonus.

A dealer in Spokane had one sans sunroof. He became a pest by calling many times after I said NO!!! He even suggested I have a sunroof installed. It would be ''Only about $1,500!'' Sure, that's what I'm going to do... have someone hack a hole in the roof so I can put up with a lifetime of leaks besides spending the extra $1.5k, Riiiiiiiiiiiight, IDIOT.

Note to self: when the salesman on the phone asks: ''So... what do we have to do to get you into this car TODAY?!?'' Hang up the friggin' phone. And also, (very important) dial *69 first so they don't have your call-back number either. :eyemouth:

The one I bought didn't have a hitch, but after the non-pressure salesman faxed me entire 4 page factory build sheets for a couple they had in stock, and also had their shop manager call me back later with real ANSWERS, I bought from them despite they're being 60 miles away.

Another big plus in their favor was my test drive of an XK. ''Here's the keys. We close at 7pm. Have fun.''

By the way, the build sheets etc. was all AFTER that test drive because I was deciding between a couple of rigs. I didn't buy my XK until several days later. http://www.midvalleychryslerjeepdodge.com/index.htm Ask for travis if you call. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have tried to search the forums to find the exact answer I am looking and have found many allusions, but nothing that directly answers my question, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Do 2006 Commanders that have the 4.7L engine option ONLY come with QT-II or QD-II? Or it is possible to have a 4.7L engine option with the QT-I system? Thanks.
I guess you did ask a question didn't you. :D

Just look for a little chrome T handle to the right, next to the gear shift knob. A single mode transfer case, e.g. the QT-I does NOT have this. Even the most moronic salesman should be able to go out on the lot and look for that tidbit.

As for QT-II or QD-II that just about requires a build sheet to know. I'm 98% sure Limiteds are all QD-II, but the system can be factory ordered, so a non-Limited may have the QD-II underneath it. The only other way is to get greasy and crawl underneath to look for the clutch pack wiring leading into the axles.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I guess you did ask a question didn't you. :D

Just look for a little chrome T handle to the right, next to the gear shift knob. A single mode transfer case, e.g. the QT-I does NOT have this. Even the most moronic salesman should be able to go out on the lot and look for that tidbit.

As for QT-II or QD-II that just about requires a build sheet to know. I'm 98% sure Limiteds are all QD-II, but the system can be factory ordered, so a non-Limited may have the QD-II underneath it. The only other way is to get greasy and crawl underneath to look for the clutch pack wiring leading into the axles.
QT II requires 4.7 V8. Thus, it is optional on Commander, standard on Limited. QD II is optional on Commander "U" package (includes 4.7), and standard with the Hemi. Hemi is only an option on Limited. This is from the 2006 product information guide I received with my new Jeep. Also, there is a Quadradrive II Logo on the console behind the shifter. QT II and QD II both share the NV245 active transfer case with center clutch pack. QD II adds Electronic Limited-Slip Differentials (ELSDs) to both axels which can shift 100% torque to one wheel.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My original sales guy was really informative! However, most of the others I have talked to did not know much, if anything, about the XK's they had on the lot! You would think they would at least try. One guy did go ask for me, but got nothing, lol!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am buying used and searching a lot on the internet. So, I wanted to be able to assume if I found a V8 with 4wd it would be QTII, at least. And with used car dealers, they almost never have any clue about the finer points of any vehicle.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've found that by the time I start making phone calls or stopping by dealerships, I have learned more about my vehicle of choice than the sales staff. Once in awhile you can find someone very knowledgeable. This was the case when I bought my Commander from a small independent use car dealer in Lansing, MI. He was very familiar with Jeep Grand Cherokees and the Commander.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
it will only have Quadra Drive on it if it says it next to the shifter.

otherwise it will be 2WD or Quadra Trac 2
I've seen some with QDII that don't have the badge on the console near shifter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts