Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my commander doors seem to hold water. I've never had another vehicle that's don't that before. After its rained, when I open the door, a lot of water will fall out. Now that the temperature has started to drop, I've noticed the doors are very hard to open. I don't know if it has anything to do with the doors trapping water and freezing or not. Is there a good way to open the doors after they have frozen? Or a better way to prevent them from freezing so hard in the first place?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Don't know about the freeze... FL... but if you are seeing a lot of water running out the door, I would make sure all the seals are in place and good. I have never, had excessive water drainage, bur there is a seal about eye level on the frame that seals the door, that I find wants to fall off.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hmmm, I've never had a problem with my Commander.

I've had a problem with the sliding door on my Mini-Van, but that was because of the gunk that would accumulate from the drink and snakes the kids would spill.

And gunk on the seal or door jamb can cause them to freeze together in freezing weather. So scrubbing the seal and door jamb area, in some cases can cure the door freezing shut in cold weather.

At the same time, my Neon R/T had the door freeze shut all the time and nothing I did could fix it.

So, sometimes, it just seems some doors are more prone to freeze shut regardless of the design.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have never, ever had my Commander's doors freeze. But I'm pretty sure my Commander has only seen sub-30 degree temps about 3 times since 2007!:)

Now that I'm done rubbing it in, yes, my door sills do collect a lot of water. They have always done so. Does anybody have a pic of the door seal part that might be a problem?

·
Registered
556 Posts
My doors used to freeze. I cut notches in the rubber seal on the bottom of the door, 1/4 in wide about 6 in apart, to let the water escape. Never froze again.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I only had this problem with the two front doors. Rears are fine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine collect water as well you open the door after it rains and a good amount of water splashes out the inside of the vehicle is dry but the doors collect water, I thought it was normal since it did it since I got it used back in 2009 with 24k miles.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Oh boy did I have a hard time with frozen doors this weekend. I couldn't open any of the them except for the driver's door. It was so frustrating. The front passenger door took the longest to thaw out enough for me to break it open. I was afraid I would break a handle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess if the top seals worked like they were supposed to, we'd not have this issue. Do what i did and you'll never have it again. If enough water seeps inside the door jamb it'll eventually get inside and pool up on the floor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
^Amen! I had my commander for about 6 or 7 months already and i have the same problem. When i drive after it has been raining i can hear the waste move back and forth. I love my hemi commander but it's poor design makes me wish i never purchased one. I love the unique boxed design and with my lift and tires aping with exhaust and custom lights it looks sick! !!

I really wish the 4 dr wrangler had a hemi, i would be all over it! !!

I have a post over in the problem section with the jeep making chirping noises if someone had any experience with this could you please post there. I do have a video up. My commander only has 32k miles and its a 06

Here is the video
http://youtu.be/A06QKurRazI

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...When i drive after it has been raining i can hear the waste move back and forth...
I have a 2010 and never had a problem with leaks or water. I see posts for earlier Commanders about leaks, so it seems to be a common problem they addressed and fixed later on.

And to be honest, although I don't live in a desert, I live on the East Coast, I probably drive in the rain less than most.

I can't imagine how enough water can collect around the doors that you can hear it sloshing back and forth. You may have a windshield leak and its collecting somewhere under the dash or in the HVAC box.

For everyone, there is a seal that runs around the outer edge of the door, when the door is closed that sealed is squeezed between the door and the body of the vehicle. So, if the seal is moist or wet, it will freeze holding the door and body together.

The seal is hollow, so its possible for it to hold water. Its a foam like tube, so water inside likely makes the outer surface of the seal moist as well.

As well, I mentioned if there is gunk or residue on the seal or the sealing surface of the body/door, that will help freeze all the part together. A warm, wet, soapy rag to scrub those seals and the surfaces it interfaces with can go a long way to help prevent the freezing.

The Commander has hidden gutters for the doors, in fact on mine at least, the gutter is rubber "V" piece that runs along the top edge of the opening for the door, underneath the curled over lip of the door when it is closed. Presumably to catch water that would fall on occupants as the enter/exit the vehicle, but it might also keep water off the door seal as well. Check the flexible gutter is in good shape and redirecting water away from the door opening and seal.

Someone already mentioned they cut additional holes along the lower edge of the tube seal around the door and it solved the problem for them. And that is probably the crux of the issue, make sure that tube seal around the door and the surfaces it contact are clean and dry. If it is still wet for too long after encountering water, then likely the water that gets inside it is NOT draining out properly.

Oh, omega48, the chirping, I didn't get a chance to watch the video. But, do you have QDII on your Commander? LSD's often chirp, especially when the fluid in the axle does NOT have the right friction properties. Seen more than one post of people complaining about noise or binding in the axles at low speed, they always have QDII (cause QDII has LSD's) and overdue for a fluid change, or never added the friction modifier with fresh fluid. A fluid change or adding the correct and right amount of friction modifier has fixed it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im in Ohio, had my XK since January, and parked it at the aiport, lots of rain and freezing temps while I was gone...and the doors were nearly stuck frozen, and lots of ice buildup in the front door sill areas. Was wondering of some Vaseline on the seals would help?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Vaseline or Silicone, like Armor-all, even pam, couldn't hurt, likely would help.

Again, I would check out the seals and surrounding area, clean it thoroughly, the seal and the metal it seals against. There are plastic gutters over the top of the door opening (but under the door lip) that redirect water draining down away from the door opening and seals. The door seal itself could have damage and is collecting and holding water, etc.

I never have a problem with my Commander and the only problem I have had with car doors freezing shut, the door seals had seen better days. If the seals didn't have holes in them, they had ragged edges and some of the surface had been eroded away to leave a spongy foam surface. During rain or washing on warm days I can see they get wet and stay wet.

And I think that is the crux of the problem, if the door seals get moist or wet they'll freeze to the metal surface. So too much water drains down and gets all over the seals, that could cause it. If the seal itself is damaged, no longer has the smooth surface, cracks or tears that lets moisture into the hollow core, or dirt that prevents the holes at the bottom edge draining out moisture in the hollow core, etc, it can absorb the water more instead of having it run off it, and the moisture in it freezes it to the metal surface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine have frozen shut once, but that was a weird storm we had. A LOT of snow but it was also a really wet snow. Took a while to get the driver door open and I couldn't get the rear doors to open(didn't want to break the handle). A friend I was driving to work had to climb into the back seats, ha.

I've had them stick other times but not that bad. I just try to not pull on the handle too hard if the doors are sticking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts