Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stress this enough. DO NOT CUT THE BOLT STUD ON THE UPPER CONTROL ARM that comes close to rubbing your front tires. If you cut the extra end off beyond the threads, you will NOT be able to get the steering knuckle secured back to the upper control arm.

CrzCajun and I found this out this weekend when we went to install my OME lift. As you reinstall the nut that holds the knuckle on, you reach a point where the entire bolt turns with the nut. The ONLY way to stop the bolt from spinning in the bushing is to place a small wrench on the stud part to hold the bolt in place. Now that you are holding the bolt in place, the nut will continue. Once the nut is tight up against the knuckle, you can torque it without having to hold the nut.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
All you have to do is use a Impact Wrench and you can get the nut on and off with no problems. I know this because I just did it on a friends commander. So yes you can trim the ball joint bolt to the threads without any problems.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree that's not a difficult problme to over come just hitting it with the imact (even a little electric one) should work .. other wise you can cut a screwdriver slot with a hacksaw in the top of the stud too.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Or you can just replace the OEM control arm with a Get Lost Heavy Duty UCA and not have any of these problems! :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think of using the impact there. I limited where the impact was used. And it should be noted, not everybody working on this will have an impact. If you don't have an impact, I will note that there is a spot like this stud on the top of the strut to hold that from turning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts