Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Wednesday night while highway cruising I picked up a metal shard or something off the roadway with my front driver side tire that somehow managed to impale the side wall of my rear tire. Instant blow out on the bridge over the Mississippi at 10 PM.

Here's the thing- The tires are about 9 months old with approx. 10K miles on them. The next morning I figured I would just replace the two rear with new ones. (BFG MT's @ $200 a pop)

Auto Tire, Dobbs, Sears, Firestone said they would sell them to me but would not mount them. Their reasoning is because my existing tires are about 3/1000 of an inch shallower tread depth than the new ones, and that difference in tire size would cause permanent damage to the transfer case. Called the dealership and they "kind of" agreed with that assessment, but said I might/should be OK with the 3/1000" differrence. I would have preferred to hear it WOULD be OK. Auto Tire said they would do it, but my sales slip would be marked up with disclaimers of release of liability.

I needed something immediately and ended up replacing all four with new NITTO TERRA Graplers, the only 265/70/17 anyone had in stock/ready to mount.

Anyone else have the fortunate experience as this or heard of the minimal tolerance in tire tread difference?

·
2,248 Posts
I would have put the two new tires on the front and the two old tires on the rear. If the size difference could cause a problem it would seem to me that it would be more of a side to side issue. Just turning will cause a little difference in the turning speed of the front and rear tires. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong but I do not think so.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have put the two new tires on the front and the two old tires on the rear. If the size difference could cause a problem it would seem to me that it would be more of a side to side issue. Just turning will cause a little difference in the turning speed of the front and rear tires. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong but I do not think so.
Yep- that was exactly what I intended to do but they all said it is not limited to side to side, but front to rear also- I could see the point if they were substantial tire size differences but 3/1000 of an inch? Auto tire showed me an internal company memo that was issued a year ago describing my scenario because I was convinced they were just trying to make a bigger sale.

I was at a disadvantage too, because it would be two to five days average ship time for two replacements and I needed to be back on the road the same day. Had to give up my MT's for AT's- for now.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think it would be fine but thats just my opinion. Now if you had two totally different sized tires then it would be an issue. Or two tires with half tread and two new tires. Again, just my .02

People on here a while back recommended not doing a 5 tire rotation since one tire wouldnt be hitting the pavement as much as the others. A friend of mine has been doing a 5 tire rotation since he bought his Jeep and has since put 60,000 miles on it with no problems what so ever. You just have to rotate them every oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts