Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need to change these after a 2" lift? Thank you.

P.S. I changed the title/question of my thread, so if a mod could fix the thread title, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You do not need to change the struts with a 2" lift. The spacers on a 2" lift go above the strut, so there is no need to replace them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do not need to change the struts with a 2" lift. The spacers on a 2" lift go above the strut, so there is no need to replace them.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, btw, (I apologize), do the struts need to be removed for a Rough Country instillation?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
If you do decide to upgrade the rear shocks after your lift, look at GetLost 4x4. He has the Bilstein 5150's as well as the 7100 series.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do decide to upgrade the rear shocks after your lift, look at GetLost 4x4. He has the Bilstein 5150's as well as the 7100 series.
Will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Oh, btw, (I apologize), do the struts need to be removed for a Rough Country instillation?
The spacers go above the struts so you will have to take them off, but you do not have to disassemble them.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. You're a big help. About that shock part numer.....that's a BILSTEIN? Forgive me, but I thought I just needed to order two 5150's???
Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes that is the # for the Bilsteins. They make several different kinds of 5150's, different valving, different lengths. I got that number from Get Lost's site.
Got it! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have had my lift on for about 7 months now wheeling the Commander pretty hard and the stock struts and shocks are starting to show it. They will definately need to be replaced in the next month or two and I'm right at 38,000 miles.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have had my lift on for about 7 months now wheeling the Commander pretty hard and the stock struts and shocks are starting to show it. They will definately need to be replaced in the next month or two and I'm right at 38,000 miles.
Did you change out your struts yet? What kind are you getting? Are the Bilstiens the best for up front too? I get a popping kind of noise if I accidentally hit a speed bump too fast or go over a crappy road too fast but I don't know if the strut(s) is/are bad or if what I am hearing is normal. When I bought the truck 3 months ago from Carmax they sold it to me with a broken left strut and had it fixed. Then I get in a wreck and got nailed in the right wheel and it seems they had to change out everything BUT that strut. I have since moved and the dealership here SWEARS they cannot find anything wrong with the strut(s). My insurane co. is willing to re-open the claim and fix whatever but the dealership can't find anything.

Ok, which of these two are better in you guys' opinions? Are these better than stock? OR, should I find a Bilstien application? Does Bilstein make more than one application for the front end of our trucks?

http://www.racepages.com/products/?Ntt=Jeep+Struts&N=10869

·
Banned
277 Posts
I have since moved and the dealership here SWEARS they cannot find anything wrong with the strut(s). My insurane co. is willing to re-open the claim and fix whatever but the dealership can't find anything.
I've seen other people post about a popping noise in the front suspension. They have recommended checking the sway bar and/or end-link bushings. I think I'm going to get mine checked sometime soon too...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had same problem. The main steering knuckle blew out. Dealer fixed under warranty - apparently a common problem (per dealer) and I had to wait a month for replacement parts to arrive.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you change out your struts yet? What kind are you getting? Are the Bilstiens the best for up front too? I get a popping kind of noise if I accidentally hit a speed bump too fast or go over a crappy road too fast but I don't know if the strut(s) is/are bad or if what I am hearing is normal. When I bought the truck 3 months ago from Carmax they sold it to me with a broken left strut and had it fixed. Then I get in a wreck and got nailed in the right wheel and it seems they had to change out everything BUT that strut. I have since moved and the dealership here SWEARS they cannot find anything wrong with the strut(s). My insurane co. is willing to re-open the claim and fix whatever but the dealership can't find anything.

Ok, which of these two are better in you guys' opinions? Are these better than stock? OR, should I find a Bilstien application? Does Bilstein make more than one application for the front end of our trucks?

http://www.racepages.com/products/?Ntt=Jeep+Struts&N=10869

I have not installed new struts yet. I should be ordering them in the next two weeks as I want them for the trip to Rausch Creek. I am going to go with the same bilstien stuts that Phunkeydude has. Im still not sure what Im going to do for rear shocks yet since a superlift is in my future.

Sometimes I get a popping noise like you described. Im not sure if its just the struts topping out since Im lifted or is its the sway bar bushings. Who knows. Im replacing everything when I tear it apart and will also be adding the 1/4 leveling spacers I bought from robby.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts