Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealer (Bigelow Service dept, in Belleville, NJ).
I ask them if lifting the commander would void the warranty.
There reply was "It voids the suspension and powertrain) on the warranty.

Anyone have a similar worrie, or issue?

I want to install a simple Rocky Road 2 inch lift (with the shocks), but I dont want issues with anything down the road....

I also plan on adding the wheel spacers (1.5) but I dont think I plan on using a larger than stock 245/65/17 tire, just a different brand. (firestone, off road tire seems todays thought).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Tell the dealership they need to brush up on their law books. They are right in that it would only void the warranty for the suspension and powertrain and not the entire vehicle warranty. However the dealer must provide a burden of proof that your modifications directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. The warranty is not immediately voided just because you installed a lift.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

In short, if they attempt to void a warranty without proving that your modification caused the issue, they risk running into problems with the FTC, Better Business Bureau, SEMA, and your state's business licensing authority.

I know plenty of dealerships that sell lifted vehicles right off their show room floor. Airpark Chrysler Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ sells dozens of new lifted Wrangler's each year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would find a new dealer. Our local dealer sells lots of lifted Wranglers also, brand new ones they modify. I had a 2" lift done at the same dealer figuring that if I ever did have any problems they were the ones to install and they would back their work.
It's a legitimate concern about the warranty but since Jeep encourages owners to modify their Jeeps I don't think they would give an owner too much hassle unless the lift was done wrong.

·
Registered
218 Posts
WileyNJ said:
I called the dealer (Bigelow Service dept, in Belleville, NJ).
I ask them if lifting the commander would void the warranty.
There reply was "It voids the suspension and powertrain) on the warranty.

Anyone have a similar worrie, or issue?

I want to install a simple Rocky Road 2 inch lift (with the shocks), but I dont want issues with anything down the road....

I also plan on adding the wheel spacers (1.5) but I dont think I plan on using a larger than stock 245/65/17 tire, just a different brand. (firestone, off road tire seems todays thought).

Wiley, I have the 1.25 spacers not the 1.5 that I said yesterday and sent you the picures of.

Also I had my lift installed at the a local Jeep dealer and it was no problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Should the dealer modify the vehicle before sale, they would incur the liability of fixing any problems associated with that car that can be attributed to the raising of the truck.

Rubicontrail is right. A denial of the claim must reveal that the loss is causally related to the lift. However, this is predicated upon language in your warranty contract. If your warranty says that modification to the OEM suspension standards is prohibited; then your claim may be denied.

The reason why the law was put in place was to ensure that manufacturers could not say 'You can only use XYZ parts even though ABC parts, which are not made by us, work to the same standards.'

By altering the suspension travel of the OEM specifications, it would be easy for an adjuster to argue that this modification was not incorporated into the design of the OEM suspension and as such, was not rated for it. Therefore, the loss is denied.

<<--casualty adjuster

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Well it almost seems wrong if you don't lift the XK... so I guess I need to read the warranty

·
Registered
89 Posts
So what should you do if you have a transmission problem when you have a lift and larger tires?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Pray. Some dealers might let it slide and fix it, others will say its your problem. Technically they should still have to prove it was the kit and tires and not a mechanical problem, but going to court over it might cost more than repairing the transmission. I scored a piston in my grand prix gtp by pushing too much air into the cylinder without enough gas, which ran it lean. Luckily, the dealer said they would take care of it, or else I was looking at over $1000 in repair. It all depends on who your dealing with.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Penguin is right on the mark; if the vehicle was modified by the dealership before it was sold, then they are liable to honor the warranty despite the modification.

If an owner has the vehicle modified after he owns it, then the dealership may deny warranty coverage for anything that may go wrong that can be related to the modification. Unfortunately, alter the ride height of a vehicle can easily justify a dealership's denial of just about any part of the suspension. Shocks, springs, steering components, tie rods, u-joints, driveshafts and yokes etc... can easily be considered related and denied as a warranty item by any dealership.

My 4Runner has a slightly modified ride height, and I would surely return it back to stock before bringing it into the dealership for warranty work. The suspension in my 4Runner is an XREAS system, which has hydraulically cross linked shocks that are very expensive to replace, so I would not want to void the warranty on them!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
SF_JEEP said:
So what should you do if you have a transmission problem when you have a lift and larger tires?
I'm in the same situation as my XK is at the dealer now for some sort of drivetrain rumbling noise and I'm lifted 2". I explained that the noise was there prior to the lift being installed and the writer said that he'd look into it and call me back with a status. This should be interesting as to what the outcome will be.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Please let us know your results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A big part about warranty work is...the dealership. If you find a good dealership and get in good with the service manager, they can make minor issues that could be denied, end up being covered. Blow a strut because of too much travel due to a bad aftermarket coil...they might cover the strut. Now, rip a tire off because your spacers couldn't hold the weight on the studs and you are out of luck. Even if they decided to cover the studs that failed, the warranty act doesn't cover related damages (i.e., one part fails and that damage causes other parts to fail). They will only cover the damage directly related to the proximate cause and no resulting damages (if they can find a way out of it) which would be the studs and nothing else. HTH.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I'd look for a dealership to install it and avoid the hassle. When I was looking at lifts, that was one of my main concerns - warranty issues. When I was getting my 15k service he mentioned that they were going to be lifting an XK. I jumped on the opportunity to find out about costs and all that - I got a quote for lift and install for $505 after a little dickering. In the end, it took them a lot longer to install (because they hadn't done one before - yeah, I'm watching to see how it holds up) but because I had the quote, they couldn't charge more. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I lifted my JC 4" and afterwards I had a front strut leaking. The first dealership would not even come outside to look at it, as soon as I said it was lifted they denied it. I went to dealership #2 and they said no problem, we get reimbursed for any warrantee work. They fixed it in a few hours. I guess you might just have to look around. I had a lifted Dodge and 11,000 miles into it the tranny went out, they said the same thing. I said it needed to be proved and the agreed to tear it out. Turns out the tranny filter came off inside, not my fault. Hit and miss I guess......

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Warranty if lift?

i just called 3 different Jeep Dealers in my area (s.e. michigan) and all said that a lift will in fact void power train warranty..."depending on what it is" i was told by one dealer that say and eng light comes on and it is no way related to suspension he would take care of it, but he told me that other dealers will try to find a reason not to warranty if lifted...anyone having problems with this...you know since the lifetime powertrain warranty and all...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You have some messed up dealers, I purchased my warantee after I was lifted and they told me there would be no difficulty getting anything covered. The dealer must show that the lift caused the defect in order to not cover it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree

i am actually a service writer for a gm dealer and i always give the cust the benefit of the doubt...sometimes i have to talk my tech into proving to me that "the aftermarket part" caused the problem, then if that is the case i then present it to the customer that "abc" cause this to happen and explain why, and then at that point i tell them if they want futher diagnoses its going to cost...but never i do just assume it because of aftermarket parts...BS i say...anyone in s.e. michigan have a cool jeep dealer...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
We have a cool Jeep dealer in Colorado. Go Chrysler Jeep West installed my lift while my XK was under warranty. They told me if they install the lift, they will honor the factory warranty. When I approached them about installing it, they jumped at the chance. It was hard for them to say no when they had brand new lifted JK's out front. I do imagine if I went to another dealer for service however, they may question it if the problem were drivetrain related. Mine is out of warranty now anyway, so it's a moot point for me.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have had no problems with getting my Commander serviced for warranty items since I have installed the Lift.

·
Registered
807 Posts
dealer in stalled my 2 inch lift. they said would not affect warranty if it was a spacer/block type lift.....but a full suspension lift the was more then a couple inches would.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts