Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a link to a video or instructions on how to change the plugs on the 4.7 that has 16 freaking spark plugs? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
...a link to a video or instructions on how to change the plugs on the 4.7 that has 16 freaking spark plugs? Thanks in advance.
This is for a 2008 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V-8 - it should be essentially the same;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Has anyone on here done this job? Obviously a lot more too it that say, the 4.0 inline 6 in my Wrangler that took 45 minutes. Our local mechanic (who is terrific btw) quoted me $300 for the labor for this job, and we are sorta buddies.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Thank you! Has anyone on here done this job? Obviously a lot more too it that say, the 4.0 inline 6 in my Wrangler that took 45 minutes. Our local mechanic (who is terrific btw) quoted me $300 for the labor for this job, and we are sorta buddies.
That's a very good price - I paid almost double that at the dealership. The guy who did the work for me, I had been going to for years and I trust him, he's a very experienced Wrangler tech - he said it was a real b_tch of a job and he was doing the work at a Jeep Dealership, on a lift (for the lower bank plugs), with all the proper tools.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had no clue the 4.7l V8 had 16 plugs. I always thought the 3.7l V6 was very similar to the 4.7l V8, just with two less cylinders. But I guess it also has 10 less plugs!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had no clue the 4.7l V8 had 16 plugs. I always thought the 3.7l V6 was very similar to the 4.7l V8, just with two less cylinders. But I guess it also has 10 less plugs!
The 8 extra plugs were added in 2008, which along with some other changes resulted in a healthy power increase.

IIRC, the lower bank set only are spec'd to be changed every 100k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 8 extra plugs were added in 2008, which along with some other changes resulted in a healthy power increase.

IIRC, the lower bank set only are spec'd to be changed every 100k.
Do you know the amount of power increase of the top of your head? Curious since it's such a PITA to do a simple tuneup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts