Jeep Commander Forum banner

Does anyone have lights on their hood like wranglers do?

9K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  IamJEEP 
#1 ·
I WANT TO PUT LIGHTS ON MY HOOD LIKE THIS JEEP DOES. BUT I DONT WANT TO DRILL INTO THE HOOD AND HAVE THEM END UP LOOKING BAD. DOES ANYONE ALREADY HAVE THIS DONE? OR DO YOU RECOMMEND ME DOING IT AT ALL? IT WILL BE 2 PIAAS LIKE I HAVE ON MY FRONT BUMPER.

See less See more
#2 ·
Look closer. They are mounted to the windshield, not the hood. If you mounted lights to the Commander hood, in that location, they might interfere with opening the hood. Just an FYI. :eek:rangehat:

#3 ·
i know they are on the hood. thats where i would put them because they would most definitely hit if they were on the windshield. i dont even know where to begin if i were to put them on the windshield.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Cool. Good luck and definitely post pics once you do this.

As I'm thinking about the install I don't know how practical these lights would be on the top of the hood, you'd have to aim them pretty high to get any light past the hood. If you do go this route one option would probably be to get the lights with a "pencil" pattern, I think that's what they call it, in other words a light with a narrow pattern so you won't blind people. Keep us posted! Oh and you have to come out wheeling with us on the next trip.

#11 ·
#13 ·
#15 ·
I really like the look of this type of set-up and considered it when my OEM turn signals were painted black. Don't think wiring would be that bad and no chance of leaks to the interior.

Attachments

#18 ·
anyone ever thought of bolting lights to the door frame just above the side mirrors? there's plenty of room to bolt a bracket there, dont know if it's stable enough or not but i dont see why it wouldnt be. it wouldnt interfere with the operation of the doors or hood, and you could even be able to adjust the light from inside the cab by rolling the window down. just an idea but i think it'd look pretty slick and be way more functional (no more hood glare). like a cross between the Wrongler hood lights and the police search lights. the police search lights would be perfect but i dont think they'd mount up correctly with the design of our wide-framed doors

#19 · (Edited)
after a little research i found these lights with mounting kits. yes they can be mounted in various locations (door, A-pillar, roof, etc) and still give full operation from inside the vehicle while keeping the windows closed. for what i'm referring to it would be mounted through the door frame. this is a light for the GC, i didnt find anything specifically for the XKs but they have these for every other vehicle out there so i'm sure they'd work. mine would have to be black though, but how cool!! definately on my TO DO list now!

http://www.magnalight.com/pc-24801-...0w-halogen--driver-side-with-install-kit.aspx

#24 ·
What if you did put them on the windshield mounting with hood open to be sure out of way. Out of the way of wipers. Those wrangler brackets screw into the existing holes in Wrangler windshield. what if you just used some epoxy or something? Nobody comment on how screws and bolts are stronger. I know that but would some sort of adhesive be "strong enough". A lot of lights mount that way now. Sometimes with just double sided 3M sticky adhesive tape.

#26 ·
Really Cico? We are driving Commanders off road. I drive through a lot of sh!t but I am not driving a Baja race truck. At our speeds I dont think it is going to vibrate off, Im not talking about using poster tape, but there is potential for something to knock it off more easily but then you just glue it back on!

#28 ·
I found the brackets I am going to try. Only $20 4wheelparts. They have different ones but these ones are flat so should work. Think i will go through door frame with all the gaskets, seals and so on that guy used to go through his roof. I knew the shape of these doors would come in handy!

#30 ·
I have the tape holding the strobes on behind my grill currently. You can go to wal-mart and find fog and driving lights with it included in the package. Do u have LED tails? That little box has double sided sticky stuff holding it to my XK behind my taillight too. As far as a BIG off road light, I don't know, that's why I was asking if anyone new of a product strong enough.

#31 ·
if it is holding your tails in. thats because there is more surface area to hold the whole entire light on. so you can put on lots of this so called godly tape. But, for off road lights i dont think there is enough sufrace area to hold it on. just small vibration that off road tires cause will make the lights eventually ware out.
i wouldnt mind putting a bolt in my car hood to be honest. as long as it looked good in the end. which im sure it would, and it would last longer than walmart tape....

#32 ·
I personally think they would look nice in that spot but, refering to what another member said about the glare off the hood makes me not want to do it.

#33 ·
could always blackout your hood with "flat black" adhesive vinyl (like they use on car wraps) and it would kill any glare and protect your hood paint at the same time. but this seems like kind of a hardcore off-road solution really. on a wrangler it would look tough, but the commander is just a more refined vehicle, not a weekend mud diver. so cant say whether or not it would look very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.