Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to rent a silver commander for a day this weekend. I cant find anyon who has one. I will pay cash and it would just be for sat.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
So what happens if the vehicle is involved in an accident, regardless of fault? I would think most people would have a hard time getting past that possibility.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car wasnt in an accident I have the motor out because im doing some port work behind my moms back and she wants to know where my car is o i need to pull one so she doesnt no

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
the car wasnt in an accident I have the motor out because im doing some port work behind my moms back and she wants to know where my car is o i need to pull one so she doesnt no
:blockhead:He was asking what about if the car you rent from somebody is in an accident?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o i do have insurance but i guess you are riht just asking bc im ineed of a car an i will pay

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
o i do have insurance but i guess you are riht just asking bc im ineed of a car an i will pay
Well it's great that you have insurance but it covers your car, not somebody elses that you are driving. Automobile insurance is with the vehicle not the person.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k well idk what to tell u maybe someone needs the cash

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Well it's great that you have insurance but it covers your car, not somebody elses that you are driving. Automobile insurance is with the vehicle not the person.
Not always true, depends upon the policy. Most have a "permissive use" clause which allows you to loan the vehicle to someone and the insurance will cover their use. NY state has "vicarious liability" which means that the owner of the vehicle is ultimately liable for all actions of the driver and any damages that the driver causes if found to be at fault for the damages.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I think your best bet would be to call Hertz, Budget, Alamo in your area and look to rent one from them. I seen quite a few Commanders in the rental agencies during my travels.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Not always true, depends upon the policy. Most have a "permissive use" clause which allows you to loan the vehicle to someone and the insurance will cover their use. NY state has "vicarious liability" which means that the owner of the vehicle is ultimately liable for all actions of the driver and any damages that the driver causes if found to be at fault for the damages.
That's exactly what I said. The insurance is with the vehicle. He wants to rent someone's Commander. I don't think the vehicle insurer will cover an accident if you are renting it out. TR4Runner asked him what happens if the car he rents from an individual is in an accident and he replied that he has insurance. That's why I explained to him that insurance is with the vehicle not the person. I know we have some members that are insurance agents. Any of you want to weigh in on this ?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
As rwmorrisonjr stated, it depends on the state. Since New York is a vicarious liability state, I would never loan out my car.
Renting it would cause even more trouble if a incident occured.
Generally speaking, the comprehensive and collision portions obviously cover the car.
The liability portion covers the operator/owner.
Now here in Illinois the liability coverage rides with the car and IF you have a authorized person operating it, that person will have liability coverage up to your liability limit.
But, I have added a blanket coverage to myself so that if I was operating a uninsured vehicle, not one I own, say, for a road test or lease return inspection, my liability coverage is in force, and therefore the car is insured.
But I don't think I can emphasize enouph, KNOW YOUR STATES INSURANCE LAWS.

......Rob

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Come on now guys don't rake him across the coals. He asked a simple question. Its a yes or no question not a debate on the legality or policies of various states and insurance companies. If you have a XK you want to rent those are key questions though. Just not worthy of nailing him to the cross.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have seen a couple parked at Enterprise as well....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I rented one from Dollar Rental

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Yeah, that's definitely the best bet. Rent one from a rental company. Being in NY, I would never "rent" my vehicle to a stranger. Hell, I'd be wary of lending it to a friend.

·
2,248 Posts
National has Commanders, I have rented them a few times.

Isn't this the Saturday for the big Destruction Derby in New York.....lol

Maybe you should just "fess Up to your Momma. If I tried to do what you suggest I would probably get caught. Now my mom is 78, 5 foot nothing and has white hair, but she could probably take me out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts