Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) .

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
And you can always go back to the manufacturer of the air intake if it malfunctioned. In addition, if the air intake mfg is causing the problem, and a lot of people are having the same problem, then Chrysler could make the repairs and subrogate the cost back to whoever is causing the problem with the air intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...very helpful as usual.
What Cold Air Intakes do you guys recommend? Is there one to stay away from? This is for the 5.7 Hemi.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cico7 said:
And you can always go back to the manufacturer of the air intake if it malfunctioned. In addition, if the air intake mfg is causing the problem, and a lot of people are having the same problem, then Chrysler could make the repairs and subrogate the cost back to whoever is causing the problem with the air intake.
Chrysler would not make the repairs under a warranty claim as that would be an admission of liability. Additionally, there would be no guarantee that any claim for subrogation would be paid.

I do agree that you might have a claim against the manufacturer if you can prove their product defective.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think a CAI case would be easy to win if Chrysler wanted to blame it for some kind of engine damage. The CAI only puts the commander engine whether 3.7, 4.7 or 5.7 into the same HP range as the one used on a number of their other vehicles. I doubt they would have a leg to stand on. That said you likely would be out the repair and the lawyer initially until this gets settled.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
My dealer sells aftermarket CAI for the Commander so they would have a hard time saying that they should not have been installed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Mopar makes a CAI for the Commander.
Actually K&N makes one to sell under the Mopar name semantics but hey its good to know if the CAI was a K&N.:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
db_ohio said:
I think a CAI case would be easy to win if Chrysler wanted to blame it for some kind of engine damage. The CAI only puts the commander engine whether 3.7, 4.7 or 5.7 into the same HP range as the one used on a number of their other vehicles. I doubt they would have a leg to stand on. That said you likely would be out the repair and the lawyer initially until this gets settled.
If you bought a CAI from Company A and it failed causing a loss to your Jeep, Chrysler has no liability. If the engine failed due to the CAI, how is Chrysler to blame? That would be a manufacturer defect. Chrysler would say 'it's not our part, we didn't sell it and we didn't install it. The product we sold you worked fine until you installed the CAI, which caused the engine to fail due to XYZ'. Then, they would be off the hook. You would have to look for indemnification from the maker of the CAI.

Now, this is all based on the fact of the CAI failing. If the engine failed for a reason not related to the CAI, then this would be moot. But, if you put a CAI on and your engine seizes up for some air/water issue, be aware that the first thing they will look is to see any other parties that may be liable. If you put on an new CAI and your engine runs seriously lean for some reason (MAF not getting proper airflow readings) and blows, they will fight it. I would.

<<--insurance adjuster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts