Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the OME lift increase the Articulation? as it has longer coils.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont have the OME lift kit yet so I cant give you a definate answer. However I would assume that it would flex better in the rear with the new suspension. Im not sure how much it would help out in the front though since its an IFS. Maybe someone else out there could help out who owns an OME lift. Also if you read some of 4.7Commanders threads you can see how to make the rear articulate better.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the coil which stops the wheel when dropping down?

How the articulation can be measured or compared between before and after the lift? maybe Old Macdonald can do this comparison as he still didn't install his OME lift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No its usually not the coil that limits how far the axle will drop. Its the length of the shock that limits that. Once the shock is fully extended it just cant go any further. Shocks are made to be a certain length for that reason. If you were to put your Commander up on a lift and took off the shocks the axle would fall until the break lines and lower control arms caught it. After reading 4.7Commander thread it is safe to say that the rear break lines and gas tank skid plate play a huge factor in articulation in the rear end. But just as easily as he fixed that problem you could too.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.7commander said:
the stock shocks and sway bar stop articulation.
So if I replace the stock shocks with OME ones together with the coils, will the articulation increase without disconnecting the sway bars?

or I have to disconnect the sway bars even with longer shocks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I never measured RTI before the OME springs went in, so I can't answer your question.

The front axle on my 44 will twist enough to take all load off one spring. It's got extended arms, longer shocks, removed sway bars, extended brake lines, a HP diff, and a custom drive shaft. It also has the high speed stability of a kayak.

How much travel do you need? I might be wrong, but a controlled landing seems like it would be ideal for the high speed sand stuff you do. A small lift, good shocks, and air bumps might be better tham mega travel.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brianjf said:
How much travel do you need? I might be wrong, but a controlled landing seems like it would be ideal for the high speed sand stuff you do. A small lift, good shocks, and air bumps might be better tham mega travel.
Good points, but it is not always flat sand, there are places which are very critical and needs some articulation to keep the wheels on the sand as much as possible, otherwise the other wheel on the axle will start to dig in the soft sand.

What do you mean by "air bumps"? ,,, is it Air bags in the rear coils?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts