Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the XK's Transmission mounts up the Rubicon's Rocktac transfer case?

does anyone know? just out of curiosity, i'd also like to make my XK just part time 4 wheel drive. not really anytime soon. but i'm just more curious about the possibilities. i'm thinking hopefully in a few years when i have this thing paid off i'll go with a 9" rear and a 9" custom front axle with D60 outers and full lockers front and rear.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wow, that would be a project... not only would you have to worry about mounting it up but you would have to install the shifter linkage, etc. since it is a manual shift instead of the XK's electronic switch.

Also, if you switch the transfer case or axles you are going to probably drive the vehicles electronics crazy. This isn't a Wrangler or an old Cherokee.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Scratch the idea....nothing would mate and like mentioned above, the electronic end of it would be a PITA!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you could get the case to bolt on then i dont think that it would be to hard. There is nothing hard about installing the shifter linkage, and its not that hard to get custom driveshafts made if for some reason the transfer case was longer or shorter then ours. If you can take a full time 4x4 explorer and eassily change it to a manual transfer case then there is no reason we cant. It just takes a little more knowledge then someone who can barley change the oil on their own truck!

Its like converting a auto transmission to a manual...people do it everyday.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was under my jeep yesterday checking stuff out..

i think it could be done. you could do a cable actuated shifter.

the main problems i saw.

1. the rear driveshaft is aluminum and has a harmonic balancer
2. the front driveshaft is punny, i can't believe how small it is. my toyota had one that was twice the size in slip yoke and u-joints.

the easy part would be fabricating the crossmember. and hopefully the rocktrac is about the same size. i'm sure you could get an adapter made to get the transfer case on the transmission.

anything is possible with enough money.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
hmmm you guys got me interested in this. Like i stated before if it would bolt on to our transmission then the hard part is done.

This is a few things you would have to look into if it bolted up:

- Custom made front and rear drive shafts (can easily be made)
- Custom center console
- Custom Cross Member
- Shifter Linkage / shifter location

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is totally possible......... All it would take is a complete removal of the engine and drive train, custom mounts for new transfer case, new axles, custom drive shafts, run it old school, eliminate the computers, new dash, instruments, brake system, then you'd have a smaller unibody Wagoneer....... :D Please note sarcasm ;-)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Bulldog9 said:
This is totally possible......... All it would take is a complete removal of the engine and drive train, custom mounts for new transfer case, new axles, custom drive shafts, run it old school, eliminate the computers, new dash, instruments, brake system, then you'd have a smaller unibody Wagoneer....... :D Please note sarcasm ;-)
First off, you don't need to remove the whole drivetrain, new axles, or computers but you do need a fat wallet, fabrication skills, and mechanical aptitude........ :D Note the sarcasm :p

I've takin a 247 out of my WJ, one 242 from a 90 XJ, another 242 from an 89 XJ and made one good 242 in a 247 case to replace the 247 and only had to change the shifter.

·
Registered
717 Posts
YB Normyl said:
I've takin a 247 out of my WJ, one 242 from a 90 XJ, another 242 from an 89 XJ and made one good 242 in a 247 case to replace the 247 and only had to change the shifter.
There's nothing good about the old 242....I had FOUR of them in my 97 Grand Cherokee in 20,000 miles! The one in my 2001 Grand was much better (redesigned)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Jeeper64 said:
There's nothing good about the old 242....I had FOUR of them in my 97 Grand Cherokee in 20,000 miles! The one in my 2001 Grand was much better (redesigned)
I don't remember saying they were good (as in the best)! I took two 242's both with over 150,000 miles on them and took parts from them to make one good unit. Considering the mileage on them when I started and 50,000 later the 242 is behind a 4.7 and not a 4.0L. I will now say they are a good unit. :p

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is there any way someone here can find out if the Rubicon Transfer Case will definately bolt on to our tranny....because if so then ill be the guinea pig!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts