Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into a 2" lift, 245/75/17's, a surco safari basket, and then needing to put my spare up top becuase I have the hitch which will not allow the spare to be stored underneath anymore.

If I did this I can't imagine I'll be able to fit in my garage but hopefully I am wrong... Anybody know for sure? I'm not fond of leaving a new car out in the elements year round or needing to put a spare up and down and up and down as I go on trips and such.

Otherwise does anyone know if it is ok to store the new, oversized spare under the car in its stock location but slightly deflated so it would fit and then using a pump like those that plug into the cigarette lighter to fill it up when the spare was actually needed?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Before the Surco rack with spare it barely fit... Now my wife can park as far left or right as she wants to when she parks in the garage!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I park in front of my garage every night. No problems. Fits perfectly out there.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Luckily, Montana is the "Big Sky" State, so the Commander has lots of head-room.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I had to take my rack off when I parked in the garage downtown. You will not get the commander in a residential garage if you have a rack installed!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a townhouse so no driveway to speak of. I hate having to scrape my windows in the CO winters too. Might have to though I guess. Probably smarter to travel with a spare and park outside than otherwise...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I turned my Garage into a Locksmith Shop 15 years ago :) .. all the cars stay outside now!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I fit fine with my lift but pretty sure a roof rack won't make it in (unfortunately). Best advice is to get out the old measuring tape! My 2" lift added 4" to the height (with larger tires) and most roof racks would add another 4" or so on top of that, depending on the model. Lights and tires obviously just keep adding...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You need to find someone in here that has that setup already and have them measure the height. Then you could measure the height of the opening of your garage.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Mine measures in at 7' with lift, tires, and rack.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine doesn't fit. I think it's against the law here in California to store vehicles inside your garage. I have way too much other stuff in there.

·
Registered
936 Posts
mine fit with the upmost precision...Like a surgeon i am...reverse sensors help...a bit....like a nurse to a surgeon...they dont really do much but stand there and look hot...

...oops got a lil off track there but yes my commander fits in the garage

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I've noticed that most newer houses have what would have once been considered oversized garage door openings. I guess they wanted to ensure that people could use their garages to park the big SUVs inside without any problems. The Commander is only a midsize SUV, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you have an old house/garage with a small opening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really appreciate the pics.

So for those with the Rola rack how is it heigthwise and sturdyness?

Also about the tire question from the OP, can you store a slightly deflated spare as long as you have a portable pump?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mine fits in the garage with about 4" to spare I guess but then it's stock. My wife's MX5 is parked way over to the left (she's become a demon at reverse parking it in there), leaving space in between the two to fully open the front and rear doors on the XK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts