Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone else's windshield always look dirty? I've cleaned it inside and out and it still has a speckled look...is this some type of special glass??? Whats the deal?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Angle of the glass and the aerodynamics of a tool shed don't push road dust and small rocks over the roof. I couldn't believe how much a new windshield improved visibility in my KJ w/ only 30K miles. (had to replace the windshield due to a star near the passenger side)

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Yup, mine is pitted too. I wonder if insurance covers that..?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Come up to Calgary Alberta and I will show you constellation of specs on my windshield. All caused by rock and sand.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yup, mine is pitted too. I wonder if insurance covers that..?
Honestly doubt insurance would do anything about that. They'll mainly send a repair claim for rock chips (stars, bullseye, etc.) and a complete replacement on a cracked windshield. What is described by the OP, is nothing more than a design/material flaw. The OP is not the only one suffering from this, but then again, it's a JEEP.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My windshield has stained look also.

Is there any product that I can use to remove or prevent this?
Best solution: New windshield...

Although, if you do let water spots dry up on the glass, I can concur on the 'stains' in question. You can use them steel brushes and massage the windshield w/ a light stream of water. That should ideally remove those stains; as in the actually tiny chips....just deal with it..be ready to get more and more until you get hit hard w/ a rock/debris.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I absolutely have this problem too due to the alot of sand around here, actually my region of the country is too dry and just sandy every where!

Its been only 9 moths with my Commander and 20k miles, too soon for such a problem and it will be too costly to keep changing it every now and then! I think a transparency film can be useful in such case.

Same problem exists in the front headlights too!

Also the FJ guys are suffering the same problem!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One more comment as well, this not a stupid question and rather a good one. so I suggest changing the title of this thread to more appropriate one to reflect what in it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Almost 17k on my Commander, no chips or pitting so far. My wife's Mini's windshield has proven far more vulnerable to hazards; it's almost as upright as the Commander's and much closer to the road.

Now bugs! auuuugh! I hate them. Who else is looking forward to the fall and winter months?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now bugs! auuuugh! I hate them. Who else is looking forward to the fall and winter months?
We're being inundated with butterflies around here. They migrate through the area in late summer, but mostly they seem to just flit around the interstate waiting to get pulped on car windshields. If you drive a lot like I do, you spend every other day or so scraping a layer of butterfly goo off your windshield and the rest of the front end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to know i'm not the only one with this problem, I guess i'll live with it....I'm not buying a new windshield!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
To get as much clarity as possible I use 0000 or 4 ot steel wool and good ol Dupont chrome polish.
This is an accepted resto method or pre-show method we use.
First the steel wool and polish cleaning and then remove w/ micro -fiber towels.
Then repeat with the chrome polish and micro-fiber. Let dry and remove w/ another micro-fiber.
This proceedure for outside windshield only.
It will lesson the visual impact of the sand pits but will not remove them. It will remove water spot rings.
.........Rob

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Nope, wear and tear. No single 'event' causing the damage.
So, when it gets TOO bad, I'll just have to drive down the road behind some gravel trucks until I get hit with something of a decent size. Or maybe go tornado chasing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So, when it gets TOO bad, I'll just have to drive down the road behind some gravel trucks until I get hit with something of a decent size. Or maybe go tornado chasing.
Don't risk damaging your paint. A brick and a vandalism claim would be easier on the Jeep, although I strongly would recommend against both. What's a windshield in these things? $200? The one I put in the Liberty was $174 installed.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Don't risk damaging your paint. A brick and a vandalism claim would be easier on the Jeep, although I strongly would recommend against both. What's a windshield in these things? $200? The one I put in the Liberty was $174 installed.
Careful now... bricks are getting expensive!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Seriously though, you should call your agent.
I have State Farm w/0 deduct on glass.
They replaced my winshield for just this reason on my 97 Chev p/u 3 years ago.
There were no cracks, just lots of sand pits.
It was considered a comprhensive claim and was paid from the agents office.
You can't beat the price of a phone call and you might be pleasantly suprised.
I sure was.
Good luck,
....Rob

·
Registered
125 Posts
May I suggest an old trick that sometimes works?

Bon Ami cleaning powder. ( NOT Ajax or such; has to be brand name Bon Ami) and go over your windshield. Do NOT use the Bon Ami polishing cleanser!!!

Bon Ami Polishing Cleanser = NO

Bon Ami Cleaning Powder = YES

The stuff is not abrasive as Comet, Ajax, etc.

A related article here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Discussion:Stop-Windshield-Wiper-Blades-from-Squeaking

but do a search on Bon Ami + Windshield for more information.

Just don't use the wrong product!!!

Try a small portion on a corner of the glass; years ago I ran an automobile cleanup shop (prepping used cars for sale for dealers) and had good results with Bon Ami.

Others mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts