Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I determine the color of my driver door inside door handle? Too many choices and I must be getting color blind trying to figure it out... Driving me CrAzY !!!:crazy:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called a few Jeep dealers this morning and they say that I would have to replace the whole door panel just to replace the broken handle... WTF is wrong with Mopar!!! I can find a reinforced handle assembly for less than $25. WoW!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I called a few Jeep dealers this morning and they say that I would have to replace the whole door panel just to replace the broken handle... WTF is wrong with Mopar!!! I can find a reinforced handle assembly for less than $25. WoW!!!
You do need to remove (not replace) the inside panel but it is not difficult. If you google replacing inside door handle, you will see a number of videos on how to remove the panel as well as replace the handle.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Your dealer says you have to replace the whole door panel because they're technically a part of the panel. In order to install new interior door handles you have to drill out factory installed plastic rivets to remove the old handles.

As far as matching the colors, I can't really help you. I just went with one that looked close, and while the shades are definitely different, it's close enough that it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If the picture is accurate, I would say ours is tan, Does not look my 06 gray. Is this the broken door? If it is I would look at how to repair and not worry about the color.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the picture is accurate, I would say ours is tan, Does not look my 06 gray. Is this the broken door? If it is I would look at how to repair and not worry about the color.
This is the broken one. The pic doesn't show it but It's definitely broken. In more than one way too. The handle moves up and down and is very loose and the cup is cracked in several places.

My door panels are 2-toned. The top of the panel is like a dark khaki and the bottom is kind of a lighter color that looks somewhere between gray and beige??? The one I ordered looks pretty close when I held a picture of my handle next to the pic on the monitor. It's actually called lite khaki. I don't really trust their pic and I hope it's close.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
This is the broken one. The pic doesn't show it but It's definitely broken. In more than one way too. The handle moves up and down and is very loose and the cup is cracked in several places.

My door panels are 2-toned. The top of the panel is like a dark khaki and the bottom is kind of a lighter color that looks somewhere between gray and beige??? The one I ordered looks pretty close when I held a picture of my handle next to the pic on the monitor. It's actually called lite khaki. I don't really trust their pic and I hope it's close.
@ricks ;

There should be a sticker (white sticker with black print) on the inside of your front driver's side and front passenger's door jams that has the factory color code on it - usually in a 3 letter abbreviation.

I would also recommend that you e-mail or call Chrysler customer service with the last 8 characters of your VIN number and request a factory build sheet - which will list all of the options & packages your Commander had installed from the factory (including the factory paint color) so you don't have to guess about what features your XK does, or doesn't have.

Chrysler's customer service e-mail address and phone number are below;

[email protected]

1-800-4A-DODGE (1-800-423-6343).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Big Blue, I will do that. Having all that information should be very useful. This Jeep will be getting a lot of accessories added to it. It's turning into a pretty good buy. Barely any repairs was needed so far. I think I got a real good deal on it and I do all the repairs and modifying of all my cars myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see a lot of these Commanders with way over 100k and still looking and running great. I had been shopping for one of these for about 3 months before buying mine. Appears to be a great Vehicle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Thanks Big Blue, I will do that. Having all that information should be very useful. This Jeep will be getting a lot of accessories added to it. It's turning into a pretty good buy. Barely any repairs was needed so far. I think I got a real good deal on it and I do all the repairs and modifying of all my cars myself.
No Problem at all.

Sounds like an excellent deal.

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've replaced dozens of window motors in Jeeps. This job is a lot easier.

The other day I watched a video of one guy replace his handle and he butchered his door panel. He didn't know what he was doing. He used longer screws and they poked thru and he didn't even care.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I've replaced dozens of window motors in Jeeps. This job is a lot easier.

The other day I watched a video of one guy replace his handle and he butchered his door panel. He didn't know what he was doing. He used longer screws and they poked thru and he didn't even care.
I have come to find over the last few years that the Commander is pretty easy to work on.

I'm no mechanic, not even close but I have done a lot of work myself:

Mounted all of my LED light bars
Replaced my faded black sport door trim with the limited chrome door trim
Replaced the rear bumper step pad
Mounted my roof rack
Replaced my factory fog lights - before I got my new WAM Bumper
Installed the rear chrome grab handles
Installed Stainless steel pedal covers
Installed the Commander Stainless steel door guards
Installed the chrome AC Vent trim rings
Installed the chrome exterior door handles
Installed the Rain Guards
Replaced the signal converter for my trailer wiring harness
Installed extra LED's in the interior of the rear hatch door
Changed out my stock gear shifter knob to a MOPAR Chrome T-Handle
Installed a stainless steel gas cap door
Replaced all the sockets in one of my tail lights and replaced all of the tail light bulbs including the reverse lights with LED's with the exception of the turn signal bulb - the turn signal socket is the only one that won't work properly with an LED.
Replaced all the interior lights with LED's.

I'm probably forgetting some things - but it's all cosmetic stuff mostly, I know my limits.

If I'm not confident I can do something myself, I have no problem taking Big Blue to the dealership or to a shop to have the work done and that's usually what I do when it comes to anything mechanical.

It's not that I can't do anything mechanical, I just don't have the tools, the space or the facilities to do the work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts