Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned something new - I've been working on cars since 1955 and when I had a squeak I just threw oil or grease at it. Read somewhere on the internet that a lot of squeaks are because of dirt and not just lack of lubrication, So today I tackled my two front doors on the Commander that always have a squeak or two. I had some throttle body cleaner I bought to clean my throttle body but learned not to use but to use brake cleaner. So the throttle body cleaner worked well to degrease and clean the hinge parts. The squeaks even went away with just the cleaning. I then sprayed on some general purpose lubricant and they are both quiet as can be. In the picture I point out the places to clean and lubricate. Don't know how long it will last and I need to buy some spray white lithium grease.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Don't know how long it will last and I need to buy some spray white lithium grease.
I had been using WD40 on mine when it started squeaking. Then a couple of months ago I decided to use the spray lithium grease. It didn't work at all. So now I am back to the WD40.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only used throttle body cleaner as I had it and needed to use it up - just wanted to clean off all the old grease and dirt. Then I lubricated again just with what I had around. Most places I read say white lithium grease probably because its cheap and available everywhere. It's not rocket science so think most anything will do fine. I may try some of that super lube - I'm a prime member.:)

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been using WD40 on mine when it started squeaking. Then a couple of months ago I decided to use the spray lithium grease. It didn't work at all. So now I am back to the WD40.

The article I read that talked about cleaning and then lubricating and said to use WD40 to clean the parts and then lubricate. Guess using WD40 to clean is OK, but I don't think much about it lubricating or lasting very long.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another source of squeaks can be the rubber door seals. Using Armor-all type products on the rubber seals can cause the rubber to slip against the body as the doors flex when hitting bumps and cause squeaks. A little windex on a rag to wipe them off will stop the noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts