Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to some other cars the Jeep Commander doors feel inadequate in terms of solidness. (Very loosely mounted) The door mounting mechanism seem to have missed out on the heavy and solid feel that makes a thud when closed which is very reassuring. Can any adjustment be done to achieve this effect?

·
Registered
488 Posts
startech1 said:
Compared to some other cars the Jeep Commander doors feel inadequate in terms of solidness. (Very loosely mounted) The door mounting mechanism seem to have missed out on the heavy and solid feel that makes a thud when closed which is very reassuring. Can any adjustment be done to achieve this effect?

you want to try some european vehicles then, them doors feel like they would blow off if you passed gas near em.

no problems with the doors on my Commander

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
startech1 said:
My Commander doors are the best bit on mine....smooth, clean and safe!

I love my doors :rolleyes:

Compaired to my Land Rover Discovery doors that were like the cargo door of a C-130, the commander door has a defined and modest clunk when closed....I'm happy with mine!

Si

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I definitely think the Commander doors are VERY solid in comparison to a lot of other vehicles. Smoothe, solid, quiet close, etc. Even opening them up, the handle/latch mechanism is very quiet.

Possibly just yours?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,... I am not saying the doors are making sqeaks or rattles or any thing.... they are in deed smooth, quite, and in perfect order.... only thing I would like more in them is a heavy feel like in a Mercedes or something like that.... I thought with the Daimler Chrysler union during which the Commander was produced it could have got those MB like doors while taking the CRD engine Chrysler Jeep had got from MB that I have got in mine. I checked this at the dealer with some other Jeeps and it's quite similar to mine which I think is normal for Jeeps. But my personal liking for doors is to have them feel heavy and close with a thud.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I understand. Maybe I'm just used to my previous cars ('87 Jetta, '00 Focus, '02 Focus, '93 ZJ), where the doors weren't as solid as the Commander's. That being said, IMO, the Commander doors are super solid in comparison. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Startech, do you have the base model?, I do, and the doors do seem to have a hollow or "tinny" sound when closing to me. Might not have as much soundproofing as a more deluxe model.-43:D

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I am perfectly contect with the weight of my doors. I have never felt that they where less than a quality part of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I don't think Jeeps are supposed to even HAVE doors... so, the fact that they feel like they do is just a bonus!

·
Registered
688 Posts
ntrepid43 said:
Startech, do you have the base model?, I do, and the doors do seem to have a hollow or "tinny" sound when closing to me. Might not have as much soundproofing as a more deluxe model.-43:D
I doubt it. I've got the base model, too, and don't think the difference between it and more expensive models is in the basic build but rather in features, wood and chrome.

I feel like my doors are quite solid, but the slamming of doors of any kind is a pet peeve of mine, so I've perfected the art of closing them with just the right amount of force.

Startech - put a couple of pounds of sand in them for a solid heavy feel. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
43,... mine is a Limited in UK with a bit of Startech and other mods. I believe for UK and Europe the Limited is the top end model. In fact most of the Commanders in UK are Limiteds. But I am sure what ever the model within the Commander range basic door mechanism is the same. So technically they all should be same. It's not the doors I am actually talking about but the door mounting mechanism. There is nothing wrong with it, but if Jeep had looked at MB doors while they had the chance, we will have a heavier feel to our doors. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
startech1 said:
43,... mine is a Limited in UK with a bit of Startech and other mods. I believe for UK and Europe the Limited is the top end model. In fact most of the Commanders in UK are Limiteds. But I am sure what ever the model within the Commander range basic door mechanism is the same. So technically they all should be same. It's not the doors I am actually talking about but the door mounting mechanism. There is nothing wrong with it, but if Jeep had looked at MB doors while they had the chance, we will have a heavier feel to our doors. :)

they offered a predator version in 2006/07

door mechanisms on this Jeep are a lot more solid than on other cars I have had.

Rovers were the worst.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
This is a fairly easy fix.... If you want a heavy and more solid feeling door, just remove your door panels and line the inside of the doors with Dynamat (the stuff audio guys use to stop rattles/vibrations when installing a high-powered stereo system) as needed. You'll definitely get a solid "thud" when you close a door lined with Dynamat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
TR4Runner said:
This is a fairly easy fix.... If you want a heavy and more solid feeling door, just remove your door panels and line the inside of the doors with Dynamat (the stuff audio guys use to stop rattles/vibrations when installing a high-powered stereo system) as needed. You'll definitely get a solid "thud" when you close a door lined with Dynamat.
That's not a bad idea at all.
And so in-line with forum thinking :D

When there's a problem, a mod will fix it! Hah! Or in my case, a TSB. I've got the "squeaky spring" groan in my door. Next time I'm at the dealership I'll hit them up for some warranty work.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Compared to my company car (97 TJ), my Commander feels like a bank vault when you close the doors. But compared to other cars they feel a little hollow, no big deal, just an observation.TR4 has the right idea about the sound pads, and that might be on my "to do" list.-43:D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Bet ya if you pull the door off and hold it for a few it will be deemed heavy enough. :D

Personnally I think TR4RUNNER is right on when it comes to achieving your thud. And I am willing to gamble that the Luxary Cars you mention only have better acoustic matting that gives that feel your thriving for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts