Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup I took my doors off!:) I've been staring at them for a month or two now wondering what if. The doors block so much of your view off road now I can see both tires on my side and the pinch weld carving around and over rocks just got a lot easier. I also put the door on a scale :icon_redface: wow there heavy. I figured they would be heavy but darn man. The rear doors weigh 70LBS a piece, The front door are about 90LBS a piece. So take all 4 doors off and you drop 320LBS of weight. Drop your spare tire and 3rd row and its starting to add up fast. I really shocked the wife. Oh My God your crazy spewed out of her mouth for like 5 minuets. Oh she don't like what I did either so I'm thinking its pretty cool Now for some pics of course I'm not done yet but here ya go. I know this isn't for everyone and the farther up north people live the more they don't like it:rofl: including my wife. but when I hit 18 and 20 MPG because of it she asked what else can you take off:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
That's insane ! Kinda' windy driving down the highway, isn't it ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Insane? Yes. Although, even though you dropped 320 pounds, your aerodynamics (or what there is of them on these vehicles) will probably kill any weight savings.

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's insane ! Kinda' windy driving down the highway, isn't it ?
I don't use the highway for anything but not bad at 60MPH. I did it for the trails to see how easy or hard it would be to take off. Coming off was pretty easy I'll see how hard it is to put back on later.

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insane? Yes. Although, even though you dropped 320 pounds, your aerodynamics (or what there is of them on these vehicles) will probably kill any weight savings.
Actually I'm up 2MPG I'm working today so I drove my normal route and I'm sitting at 17.2MPG I've never been that high ever

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Ballsy move, SAL. How do you keep the EVIC and the door ajar chime from going off all the time?

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballsy move, SAL. How do you keep the EVIC and the door ajar chime from going off all the time?
It chimes like once when I put it in drive but goes off after that. The biggest thing is loosing 4 out of 6 speakers but I don't play to much music on the trails I'm usually concentrating to hard to even think about music.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ahh the music, I was thinking how awesome that is, and on my work computer can't even see the pics.

No music, no heated power mirrors, no power windows or windows at all, the money that could have been saved if you bought a wrangler

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hmmmm...

Got any plans for some tube steel doors? I am kind of digging the looks of that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's a litte crazy ... but kind of cool! :)

I had a Suzuki Samurai that got rolled so I cut the roof off and the doors removed, ... I used to drive it to work and back an hour each way, I found a few places to go off road on the way too, and kept leaving earlier to off road on the way to work :)

I found the worst thing was it was really cold in the mornings even in july and august.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Crazy man! But if you're going to do that much, you need to relocate your side mirrors... No side mirror (at least Driver's side) is a real quick way to get pulled over.

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crazy man! But if you're going to do that much, you need to relocate your side mirrors... No side mirror (at least Driver's side) is a real quick way to get pulled over.
I actually bolted up a cheap generic mirror when the doors where off so I was good from getting hassled.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Moot point now, I guess, but I'd been thinking that it would look good/purpose built if you could add a cargo-net type mesh over the lower half of the door opening; would keep things from falling out while on the trail, but you could still have the increased visibility.
I always thought it would be cool to fab an ORV with see-through polycarbonate "windows" at all four footwells, so that you could see exactly where your tires were when offroading. Could be interesting at highway speeds too!

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you take it to any trails while they were off, and any pics???
No trails yet with the doors off. But if your worried about flex you shouldn't be the XK is rock solid stiff and doesn't flex at all. I've had it balanced on two wheels and opened all the doors and rear hatch with no issues closing them again nothing moved at all. IMO this thing is way stiffer then body on frame bro.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts