Jeep Commander Forum banner

Drawbar Drop

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  a49erFan 
#1 ·
When measuring how much drop you should have for the difference in height of the Commander and a trailer tongue, I would assume you back the truck to the trailer and measure the distance from the Hitch to the top of the Tongue? Is this correct. I want the right size in drop but I am not positive where the measurement starts and ends.
Meaning, from the center of the receiver opening, top or bottom? The difference is in inches of course and could mean saving a trip to the store to replace.
Any help is great. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
You just set it up so the trailer is level when it's hooked up, an inch or so either way is not going to matter .... if there's any difference in hieght it's a bit better to have the truck taller. ... EDIT ... within that inch or so I mean

#3 ·
When a trailer is attached to the hitch of the tow vehicle, it should always be in a level position.

Compute the difference between the Hitch Height and the Coupler Height. If the Hitch Height is greater than the Coupler Height, the difference is the drop that is required. If the Coupler Height is greater, the difference is the rise that is required. This adjustment in the height is done with the use of a Ball mount which is chosen with the rise or drop closest to the difference in height

#4 ·
Wow another great question! I am most likely bringing my scout trailer to Colorado and have not set it up yet, this will help a lot. Thanks for asking and thanks to those who have and will respond.

#5 ·
Ok, let me try it this way. I have been towing for years but with the Commander, I have to buy a new drawbar (because of the receiver size and the height of the truck. I understand the trailer should be level. The question is one of point to point measurement before I go to buy a new drawbar.
I do not have a drawbar now that fits the ClassIII on the truck. Is the point measured from the center of the receiver (that is the square opening in the hitch) or the top or the bottom to (I would assume) the bottom of the trailer tongue?

jeep5253, correct in that I have to compute the distance but my question is at what two points are the distance measured from? I cannot use my present drawbar for a reference as I do not have a drawbar yet.
Yeggster, before I can just set it up I have to buy a drawbar and the bars come in different heights. I wish to avoid multiple trips to the store and I cannot take the trailer with me because I do not have a drawbar yet.

Thank you though for the responses.

#7 ·
Yeggster, before I can just set it up I have to buy a drawbar and the bars come in different heights. I wish to avoid multiple trips to the store and I cannot take the trailer with me because I do not have a drawbar yet.
I see ... The only way I can think to be sure is to park the commander right in front of the trailer as if you're going to hook it up ...
... move the trailer tongue up and down until it's level ...

Then measure the distance from the center of the Commanders Reciver ... to where the top of the trailers ball will rest in the trailers hitch

... then when you get to the store put a ball on the draw bar and measure it from the center of the square part to the top of the ball ... this is important if you want it exact as not all hitch balls are the same HIEGHT

This procedure will work equally well if the tralier needs to be higher or lower than the Commander

#6 ·
It is usually a measurement from the bottom of the receiver tube. For example if you measure from the bottom of your receiver tube to the underside of the trailer's hitch, that would be your measurement of drop. 6" of difference uses a 6" drop mount.

#8 ·
I have been curious about this too. If you measure from the wrong place and are at the store and just pick one because it says it is a certain drop, you could get the wrong one. But a few days ago I was TSC and they actually had a chart and instructions on how to figure the drop and where to measure from. But I can't remember what they said. Maybe google it or go to hidden hitch or other supplier's sites.

#9 ·
This is an amendment to my previous post. Measure from the top of the receiver tube to the bottom surface of the trailer tongue.

#10 ·
Thanks Adam, I printed your last post and will take it with me when I go measure my trailer and receiver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.