Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw a topic out there for some "dream" runs - likely or not. My wife hates to hear me talk about it because she thinks that sometime in time I might try to drag her along.

My first dream run - which I am sure I will undertake sometime in the not too distant future (assuming the Army cooperates) - is the Rubicon. I want to take my XK over it and not suffer any catastrophic damage. That way, my XK earns the "Trail Rated" badge for itself. =)

My second is less likely - the run from the Ice Roads in Canada down to the tip of South America - The Pan America Highway (plus the Ice Roads). The only real sticking point is a piece of terrain in South America that is virtually impassible by vehicle - the "Darién Gap." In addition to the lack of a road, there is always the problem with the warring rebels who like to take rich Americans hostage. But, it would still be fun.

What are some other dream runs?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I would like to do Route 66 from Pasadena California to Chicago Illinois. And of course any off road adventure in between. Just think it would be fun to do that historic route while there is still some history to be seen.

http://www.historic66.com/

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have always wanted to drive the entire the length of the Pacific Coast Highway. All the way from San Diego to Canada. Some really awesome scenery there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Newbie here,

I would give anything to go on either of the trips you mention. If i is the second trip let me bring my guns.

New to the forum,

Mitch

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I ever get to run the Pan-Am Highway, be SURE to bring your guns. I plan on taking all of mine with me (and arming the kids in the third row too)!

·
2,248 Posts
Here are three picture of one of the Rubicon Runs that I was on with my old Jeep club.

·
2,248 Posts
Here are two more dream trails. The first is from a trail in Moab and as I remember the hill is called "Endover" for obivious reasons. The second is one of my favorite places. It is "Bassy Falls". It is southwest of the Rubicon Trail and off the road on the way up to the Rubicon trailhead.

·
2,248 Posts
This is also from Moab. Now that is a cliff for Phunkydude to drive off.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
HueypilotVN -

That looks like the top of Moab Rim? We ran that in 2007 and had a blast. Got my old open-diffed wrangler up the thing, only needed a little winching over Devil's Crack. I'd like to do that trail in the Commander, I anticipate no winching this time. I'd also like to do Poison Spider/Golden Spike but I hear it takes 8 to 9 hours if things go well. The guys I wheel with like to be back at the condo drinking by 4:00.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wonder what the Oregon Trail would be like in a Jeep...
"Jeep broke an axle...Lose 5 days"

Realistically I think some of the trails in the Rocky mountains would be my dream. More specifically the trails around Ouray and through Telluride.

This is not my picture(thanks Google), but I have been on this trail outside Ouray:

·
Registered
319 Posts
those are some beautiful shots!! all of them look/sound like fun as long as the chances of getting body damage/any other kind of damage aren't TOO high!.....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Realistically I think some of the trails in the Rocky mountains would be my dream. More specifically the trails around Ouray and through Telluride.

This is not my picture(thanks Google), but I have been on this trail outside Ouray:
This is the planned trail ride for Camp Commander WC!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I would also like to run the Lincoln Highway from Lincoln Park in San Francisco to New York City.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is the planned trail ride for Camp Commander WC!

Wow, that looks very exciting! I hope we get to see all the beautiful places you have planned for us to see 49er.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wonder what the Oregon Trail would be like in a Jeep...
"Jeep broke an axle...Lose 5 days"

That looks to be Imagene Pass Road.. Absolutely wonderful up there. Be sure to watch out for freak electrical storms on top

1 - 15 of 15 Posts