Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Commander 5.7 I bought used, so I don't know it's history. I rebuilt the engine and changed all fluids,filters,sensors with Mopar units. Mainly, if the battery is disconnected after reconnecting and driving for about 1 to 2 miles a shudder starts and the farther you go the worse it gets. I think if you kept driving it at this point it would eventually destroy something. That's how bad it gets. To stop it, I have to pull over, turn off the ignition and restart. It may be fine for a few miles, or the entire day. I have replaced the final drive control module with a new Mopar unit and checked everything I can think of with no change. It is certain to do it in a short distance after a battery disconnect, but occurs at random times after being restarted. I replaced the fluid in both diffs with the prescribed Mopar type. I have also replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors with Mopar units thinking it may have something to do with the ABS system, as well as the input and output trans sensors. The PCM engine/transmission computer has also been replaced with a rebuilt unit, but acted exactly the same as the original computer. It feels like something to do with the all wheel drive. I was hoping someone else may have experienced this and has found a cure. There is no check engine light or codes set, as I have checked with scanner. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be looking real hard at the transmission. It is a strong unit but does have some quirks. It is the same unit found in many Dodge trucks. Those forums are worth searching for similar symptoms and solutions.

First off it is shift by wire. The mechanics of it are capable of 8 forward and ,I think, 3 reverse with the right control box. However everything is dependent on the control box and the sensors. Even the fluid pressure and shift harshness. Shift kits are hard to do for this transmission because the computer will lower the pressure to compensate for the hard shift. If something is wrong I could see it leading to your symptoms as it tries to compensate for the problem. Battery disconnect leads to a new round of compensating.

Other things to note is the transmission is VERY sensitive to fluid type, level, and age. When I bought mine it would shudder and slip taking off from a stop light after a few miles of driving. I got lucky and a transmission service fixed it. Factory service information says do not use a flush system on it. It will do damage. Just drop the pan and replace the filters. Top off the lost fluid. Don't over fill as that will blow a seal.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Administrator
6,824 Posts
I have an 07 Commander 5.7 I bought used, so I don't know it's history. I rebuilt the engine and changed all fluids,filters,sensors with Mopar units. Mainly, if the battery is disconnected after reconnecting and driving for about 1 to 2 miles a shudder starts and the farther you go the worse it gets. I think if you kept driving it at this point it would eventually destroy something. That's how bad it gets. To stop it, I have to pull over, turn off the ignition and restart. It may be fine for a few miles, or the entire day. I have replaced the final drive control module with a new Mopar unit and checked everything I can think of with no change. It is certain to do it in a short distance after a battery disconnect, but occurs at random times after being restarted. I replaced the fluid in both diffs with the prescribed Mopar type. I have also replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors with Mopar units thinking it may have something to do with the ABS system, as well as the input and output trans sensors. The PCM engine/transmission computer has also been replaced with a rebuilt unit, but acted exactly the same as the original computer. It feels like something to do with the all wheel drive. I was hoping someone else may have experienced this and has found a cure. There is no check engine light or codes set, as I have checked with scanner. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
@master&cmdr;

I believe there is special friction additive that's required for the Quadra-Drive II ELSDs;

Did you add the friction additive when you changed differential fluid??

Also, complete your user profile to comply with the forum rules, as explained in the thread below;

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@master&cmdr;

I believe there is special friction additive that's required for the Quadra-Drive II ELSDs;

Did you add the friction additive when you changed differential fluid??

Also, complete your user profile to comply with the forum rules, as explained in the thread below;

Thank you.
Yes I did add the Mopar additive to both diffs when I changed the fluid in them. I also used the Mopar fluid as well. But I have good news! I found the problem causing the shudder. From a previous post in the forum I traced it to the parking brake. When it started to shudder I pulled the parking brake and the shudder increased about double. I disassembled the parking brake and found it had been adjusted too tight, causing the problem. When I was working on the brakes I installed new rotors, but never bothered the parking brake shoes or adjustment. The shoes looked like they had been replaced previously and were very good. Where the shoes had been rubbing after the new rotors were installed it had ruined them. I replaced the shoes, loosened the adjustment and now all is well and no more shudder. Thanks, to you and Big Blue for responding to my post. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Administrator
6,824 Posts
Yes I did add the Mopar additive to both diffs when I changed the fluid in them. I also used the Mopar fluid as well. But I have good news! I found the problem causing the shudder. From a previous post in the forum I traced it to the parking brake. When it started to shudder I pulled the parking brake and the shudder increased about double. I disassembled the parking brake and found it had been adjusted too tight, causing the problem. When I was working on the brakes I installed new rotors, but never bothered the parking brake shoes or adjustment. The shoes looked like they had been replaced previously and were very good. Where the shoes had been rubbing after the new rotors were installed it had ruined them. I replaced the shoes, loosened the adjustment and now all is well and no more shudder. Thanks, to you and Big Blue for responding to my post. Hope this helps someone else.
Great news @master&cmdr ; Thanks for sharing the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts