Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At approximately 8000 miles or so our 'new' 2007 Commander developed what sounded like a rear end whine. I Finally got it to the dealership and it was discovered it was in the front differential. Anyway, they replaced the parts and it is now gone. This seems to be a common complaint, just thought I would post an update. I've never had one with a front diff problem, usually from the back. Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
A description of the work done and parts replaced would be helpful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was lucky just remembering to post this while at work. When I go home later I will pull the service ticket and post. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, for what it is worth, here goes with the part numbers:

52111953AC Seal Drive Pinion
5135674AB Brg Kit Drive Pinion
5135673AA Brg Kit Drive Pinion
5135661AC Gear Kit Ring and Pinion
5135660AB Brk Kit Differential Side (Quantity 2)
4874469 Lubricant Gear (Quanitity 2)
5010884AC Sealer RTV
52111338AC Seal Axle Drive Shaft
52069706AB Seal Axle Drive Shaft

Corrective Action Taken:

Removed front differential; replaced ring & pinion gears, replaced all bearings, set preload & backlash. Reinstalled, filled with fluid and road tested, ok.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow... a lot of work for a whine, eh? So it was the bearings that were gone I guess? The other stuff needed to be replaced because they opened it up, right?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I guess its hard for them to tell if its a gear lash issue or a bearing issue so they just replace everything. Thanks for the details it will help anyone with the same problem know what they are in for. How long was it in the shop for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if it was the bearing as much as the ring & pinion. It had the typical whine while the driveline was 'loaded' and then went away once you backed off the gas. But it was the typical complaint I have seen here, around 50 mph and up. It got progressively worse. The shop manager said his experience is once it has this kind of mileage, which was around 9xxx plus, you cannot readjust it out. Just replace. I had the vehicle in for a couple of other minor things, so it was in for 6 days. The other problem with this was the shop manager was out deer hunting for part of this time and a decision could not be made without him. Plus they had to get the parts in. They did a good job, I get nervous when something on my new car gets opened up for work at the dealership. For that matter I get nervous any time my car goes into the dealership for work. I usually wrench on my own stuff, but hey, it was under warranty.

The best part about this was a Chrysler Area Tech was visiting the dealership around this time and listened to the whine. I later get, not from him because he did not return my phone call, 'we can replace the diff or leave it alone. All Jeeps have some kind of whine'. I have owned four others Jeeps besides this and none of them had this kind of whine. Plus, the Commander is kind of quiet on the road which is what we liked. I understood my lifted Wrangler with big Goodyear MTR's was going to make some noise, but not from the driveline.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am hearing the same noise as you coming from the front differential. I knew it was either the pinion bearings or something to do with the ring and pinion. Looks like ill be making another trip to the dealer. Mine also has been doing it for quite some time now. If i recal correctly it started somewhere around 4,000-8,000 miles and is getting worse. I now have around 29,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I took my 07' in 2 months ago with the same noise, except mine was definately coming from the rear. The stealer said that was typical driveline lash and his makes the same noise. Good for him, but I refuse to deal with it.
My back ground is setting up JD Byrider Service Departments, buying equipment and training employees. I went round and round with this yahoo before finally giving up trying to explain customer satisfaction to him. I have sent certified letter to the dealer principal where I took it for service and the Regional Chysler office and have yet to get a reply.

I guess the upside is that it is a certified Jeep with a factory drivetrain warranty of 8-80. The noise is less noticable now since the driver door seals are howling. I'll find another dealer and dump my issues on him.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is in for this exact problem. They're replacing the entire front axle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts