Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have the window rolled down on my JC 4x4 I notice that there is a turning sound (cha-cha-cha) from the shaft that is along the drivers side. The turning noise happens when accelerating. Are you suppose to hear the shaft turn when accelerating or driving?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
I hve not heard that kind of noise. Ususally I only hear the sound of the HEMI if I put my foot down when taking off from a stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Could be CV Joint. Have it looked at ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since there are more Commander owners on this forum now, I would like to repost. I had brought it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem. The sound is very noticeable when you drive along side another car or a wall.

I swear this is not normal and just want to know if anyone else noticed this type of noise coming from the drive shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
I agree -the XK is very quite and you should not hear any noise as such. You may need to take the service advisor for a drive - as I have found they CAN duplicate an issue when you point it out directly with them in the car with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Don't know, but in another vehicle I had, the noise you were say happened to me and it turned out that the exhaust was bent and hitting the drive shaft just a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
its possible you have something wrapped around the drive shaft also that is making the noise. you might want to crawl underneath and take a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I had this issue from the test drive, told them to fix before I picked it up. Of course they said they could not reproduce said noise. Took it back at 1st oil change and it turned out to be a bad seal on the front differential. Push the issue or find another service dept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perks said:
I had this issue from the test drive, told them to fix before I picked it up. Of course they said they could not reproduce said noise. Took it back at 1st oil change and it turned out to be a bad seal on the front differential. Push the issue or find another service dept.
How does a bad seal on the front differential cause the driveshaft to make a turning noise?

Thanks,
SF_Jeep
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
SF_JEEP said:
How does a bad seal on the front differential cause the driveshaft to make a turning noise?
A bad seal makes the differential fluid slowly leak out. This causes the gears to be noisier as they are not being properly lubricated. This sound would be evident to the driver as coming from the front left (as the driver is seated on the left).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
A bad seal makes the differential fluid slowly leak out. This causes the gears to be noisier as they are not being properly lubricated. This sound would be evident to the driver as coming from the front left (as the driver is seated on the left).
So does that mean that the fluid in the front differential may be low. If that is I will have them check it out.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
SF_JEEP said:
So does that mean that the fluid in the front differential may be low. If that is I will have them check it out.

Thanks!
Yes, if you have a bad seal the fluid will be low. The fluid might also be low from the factory and the dealer might not have checked it before delivery. Get it checked sooner rather than later. If it is lacking fluid the gears will wear down prematurely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the Service center check all the fluids in the Front Differential and they said that it was full. My adviser then called the Service Director and we went on a test drive. The turning noise was apparent when I drive up a hill and at low RPMs (2-3k). He heard the sound as well and told me that the noise that I hear comes from the engine and not the drive shaft. The sound occurs because of the load on the engine when trying to pull a 5000 lbs vehicle up a hill at low RPM. He also said he never noticed the sound on a Demo unit, but will test drive an XK on the same hill to see if the sound is as loud.

Do you guys think that's an acceptable answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
SF_JEEP said:
Do you guys think that's an acceptable answer?
No. You have the HEMI which doesn't have to strain to pull 5000lbs. If you had the 3.7L I might think it was an acceptable answer but not with the HEMI.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top