Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just got done replacing the front driveshaft/propeller shaft on my 06 Commander. Found out that you just can't press out the u-joints like normal. The rubber boot at the transfer case was the initial reason to replace it but the ujoint had a "detent" in it as you exercised it. New shaft was $580. Can the ujoints be replaced on the rear driveshaft? Also, the bushing on the top of the front differential needs replaced. Will I need to drop the axle to do that?

Thanks
Paul

PS. To those of you who have replied back to me and others over the years with you knowledge.....Thank You. You have saved me numerous times.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The front prop shaft (driveshaft) does NOT appear to be a U-Joint type of prop shaft, it appears to be Constant Velocity type of prop shaft. Like the front prop shafts to each wheel and/or on transaxle (FWD) vehicles. Those types of joints are rebuildable, but if they suffer damage they often have to be replaced. AFA the OEM is concerned, its NOT serviceable, I'm NOT aware of any kits or parts to rebuild the joints.

BTW, all these different types of joints have technical names I forget, but the XK only has one or two of the classic "U-Joint" with newer types at all the other driveshafts.

The rear prop shaft (driveshaft) is NOT serviceable, i.e. it has to be replaced as an entire unit. The front and rear U-Joints are "Staked" into the lugs. The rear driveshaft has a slip yoke in it also, to allow the driveshaft to telescope in and out, instead of using a slip yoke at the transmission/xfr case, that wears also and I'd think the only remedy for that portion being worn out is a new prop shaft.

There are aftermarket solutions that are less expensive than the OEM prop shafts.

There are numerous "How To's" on the internet about removing and replacing Staked-In U-Joints. Since this a DIY, improvised fix, there are chances it won't work right.

Bushing on the front Differential Carrier are replaceable, never done it, the descriptions I've read, if you improvise a bit, you can avoid dropping the whole thing to replace individual bushings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts