Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from Phoenix, AZ to Anchorage, AK in about a month.
I just recently bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 4x4 Limited, Hemi 5.7L Dec 2013. It has just over 80,000 miles on her and currently gets an avg 14.4mpg.

I am thinking about purchasing a utility trailer to pack my moving boxes and mountain bike then sell the trailer once I get to Alaska to help with my fuel cost.

My question to you guys is.... Is it worth getting the trailer, cost-wise?
After calculating the cost of fuel for my trip based on 14mpg, it will cost me almost $900.
After calculating the cost of fuel for my trip based on 10mpg (with the trailer), it will cost me around $1,350.
I would probably sell the trailer for $600, depending on how much I pay and the condition.

So...Would it be worth the towing?
If so, has anyone towed anything with their Jeep Commander on long road trips 3,500+ miles?

Thanks for your time.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I have a Commander exactly like yours. I am going to pull a 5 by 10ft utility trailer from Ohio to TN - 525 miles next week. I have done it many times before but do not remember the MPG - think I got 14 or 15. I will watch it close this trip and report back. I am moving and will have the trailer loaded with tractor, aireator, tools and a lot of other heavy stuff as the moving co. charges by the pound:) Without the trailer I get 17 or 18 MPG. My trailer is open is yours? Would a covered one sell better in Alaska?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Might I recommend a 19 dollar / day trailer from Uhaul? 5 day trip will cost between 100 -150 (fuel cost you just can't get around).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Commander exactly like yours. I am going to pull a 5 by 10ft utility trailer from Ohio to TN - 525 miles next week. I have done it many times before but do not remember the MPG - think I got 14 or 15. I will watch it close this trip and report back. I am moving and will have the trailer loaded with tractor, aireator, tools and a lot of other heavy stuff as the moving co. charges by the pound:) Without the trailer I get 17 or 18 MPG. My trailer is open is yours? Would a covered one sell better in Alaska?
Wow! You have a Jeep like mine and you get 17-18 mpg? My Hemi guzzles gas.
I would appreciate the report back. Thanks!

I plan on purchasing an open trailer, small. Like a 4x8. It only needs to hold 4-5 moving boxes and a mountain bike. I am mainly purchasing it to turn around and sell it. I don't really need it for my drive other than potential of getting gas money back. I can ship my boxes thru family discount with AK Airlines. Just wanted to know your guys' thoughts :)

One would sell better in Alaska. I could ask for a couple $100 more up there. Things are more expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might I recommend a 19 dollar / day trailer from Uhaul? 5 day trip will cost between 100 -150 (fuel cost you just can't get around).
I don't really need a trailer. I was just going to buy one for the trip and sell it for a little more (Alaska has higher prices than most states) to help with fuel cost.

I just don't know if it is worth it bc it was cost MORE in gas due to the mpg when towing.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
OK made my 525 mile trip from OH to TN, through the mountains and storms. My 5 by 10 trailer with about 3,000 pounds of stuff lowered my gas mileage to 14MPG from 18MPG. The load you are talking about should only lower your mileage 2 MPG.
Have a safe trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts