Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the system can be modified so that the driving lights remain on with the high beams?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
We state side folks don't have driving lights, but I can tell you my fog lights go off with high beams. It has to do with the amount of lumens you are allow to project.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well up here in the frozen land of Canada, we measure it by how much light we need to throw onto the road so that we don't hit a moose at 80 mph. They are clear with a clear bulb so they can't be fog lights as far as I know. I put PIAA extreme white plus in both high and low beam as well as the driving/fog lights. They are super bright but I hate that they go off when you hit high beam.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Well up here in the frozen land of Liberal douche bags and ***gots, Canada, we measure it by how much light we need to throw onto the road so that we don't hit a moose at 80 mph. They are clear with a clear bulb so they can't be fog lights as far as I know. I put PIAA extreme white plus in both high and low beam as well as the driving/fog lights. They are super bright but I hate that they go off when you hit high beam.
Hey Flex, the only thing I would suggest (which may be more trouble than you want to go through) is hard wiring the fog-lights to their own switch so you can turn them on and off independently from the headlights and running lights.

·
Super Moderator
14,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I remember that discussion 5253, because my dealer actually told me they didn't have DRL when I picked mine up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started a thread before I saw this one. No wonder no one has replied to mine. Almost the same title, but I am trying to make Hella driving lights that are mounted on the grill guard go on and off with the high beams so I can use them on rural roads at night.
There is no high beam fuse in a commander to tap into for the trigger to the relay.
I don't want to tap into the wire at the light unless I have to.

Whats up with no fuse in the wiring diagram?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I started a thread before I saw this one. No wonder no one has replied to mine. Almost the same title, but I am trying to make Hella driving lights that are mounted on the grill guard go on and off with the high beams so I can use them on rural roads at night.
There is no high beam fuse in a commander to tap into for the trigger to the relay.
I don't want to tap into the wire at the light unless I have to.

Whats up with no fuse in the wiring diagram?
Why not tap into the high beam lead? Seems like the easiest solution.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Desert,

Why not get a PIAA kit? They come with their own wiring harness and most of their lights are second to none.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blue, By none cut and paste I mean without having to cut into the factory harness and "paste" in a switch. I was hoping there was a way to just separate the driving lights from the cut off switch that turns them off when in high beam. I wasn't kidding about the Moose, by the way. My brother's and I almost smashed into one about 5 years ago at 70 mph and then I almost plowed into one on a different trip about 2 years ago. Hit a 1000 lbs of Moose at that speed and your toast.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Blue, By none cut and paste I mean without having to cut into the factory harness and "paste" in a switch. I was hoping there was a way to just separate the driving lights from the cut off switch that turns them off when in high beam. I wasn't kidding about the Moose, by the way. My brother's and I almost smashed into one about 5 years ago at 70 mph and then I almost plowed into one on a different trip about 2 years ago. Hit a 1000 lbs of Moose at that speed and your toast.
Yeah that's pretty wild.

I have had a couple of close calls with some Deer in Virginia and in the Carolinas over the last couple of years, that was scary enough.

I could only imagine having an encounter like that with a 1000 lb Moose.....it would definitely be all over if you hit one driving at highway speeds.

That's a big reason why I have all the lights that I have - that and trail riding at night.

Have you ever considered adding a nice curved 50 inch LED light bar on the roof?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea if that curved bar you have up there and I know how bright they are. I bought a smaller version for our Polaris RZR and I bought the driving light version. Did you have to drill through the roof to mount it?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I like the idea if that curved bar you have up there and I know how bright they are. I bought a smaller version for our Polaris RZR and I bought the driving light version. Did you have to drill through the roof to mount it?
No I didn't Flex.

I specifically figured out a way to mount it so I did not have to drill into the roof because that was something I really wanted to avoid.

I know a few guys that have drilled into the roof to mount a light bar - I'm not a fan of that idea though.

Give me a couple of minutes to find the write-up I did and some better pics.

The write up might open your eyes to some of the issues I ran into and maybe help you avoid some of them.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
No I didn't Flex.

I specifically figured out a way to mount it so I did not have to drill into the roof because that was something I really wanted to avoid.

I know a few guys that have drilled into the roof to mount a light bar - I'm not a fan of that idea though.

Give me a couple of minutes to find the write-up I did and some better pics.

The write up might open your eyes to some of the issues I ran into and maybe help you avoid some of them.
Jeez, it took me forever to find it because I had posted it in somebody else's thread, but here is the write up of the updated and improved install that I wound up having to do - 3rd post down in this thread;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/42-exterior-appearance-mods/43649-mounting-42-light-bar-2.html

And here are some pics:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts