Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 3.7L 2WD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate any advice please.
I need to remove intake manifold from my 3.7.
From researching other posts I understand that to get needed clearance I must remove bolt from passenger side motor mount and let motor drop approx 1.5-2" into mount base.

I plan on placing a 3 ton floor jack underneath to ease removal of bolt but also raise back into place.

Safe location to place Jack? Plan on using block of wood between jack and lift location.
Is center of oil pan safe? Other locations?

·
Administrator
16,135 Posts
@JohnGault I certainly wouldn't use the oil pan.

·
Administrator
16,135 Posts
Thank you and Understood. I was thinking back to 1975 and days of the 307 in my '69 Camaro....;)
@JohnGault My very first car was a brand new 1969 Camaro with the 350 engine.. Boy do I wish I had that car now!

Reactions: JohnGault

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet car. I had one in 1976. Wrecked it. Took a day off from Commander. This motor lift point has me stumped. I might be able to use a short 2x4 right next to the bolt mounts. But tight. I just need to lift enough to take wieght off bolt and slide out...then slowly lower about 2".

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,199 Posts
In the service manual it calls for a special tool lifting from above. See picture. Thinking a engine puller would work from above. It also talked about lifting from underneath using "appropriate lifting device" ?

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Art

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I thought of lifting from above. Where to connect a chain? Could not find any hooks and exposed bolt holes on face didn't look strong enough.....so I just dove in. Steps: 1. Jack up front end about 3" (enough space to user a crawler and have rooms to extend arms) under main cross member of chassis and insert jack stand at lift point on frame on passenger side inside RF tire. 2. Set floor jack with approx 14" piece of 2x4 into recess of motor mount and raise jack to snug in place. 3. Make sure jack release is fully closed and give a slight lift of 2x4 in mount slot to release weight on bolt. 4. With 18 deep well socket and 3" extension, place socket on bolt end where you will find a 18 nut. 5. Holding nut in place, take 18 racheting wrench and remove bolt. Set aside with nut. 6. Very slight and gradually release jack to allow motor to slowly tilt down as motor mount on block comes to rest approx 2" into motor mount sleeve on frame. Tip: measure your height of jack plate before you begin to lower. This will give you a starting point when you go to re-insert bolt. Motor mount on frame is threaded. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Tints and shades

Automotive tire Office supplies Asphalt Tool Road surface

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

Even after lowering motor, getting intake out was like wrestling an alligator. I'll post a summary vid on YouTube. Wish me luck getting everything back together.

·
Administrator
7,112 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts