Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to replace the fuel pump/sending unit in my 06. How big of a job is it to drop the fuel tank? It has the skid plate on it which looks like it could be a bit of a job by itself. Anyone done this themselves?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've got to replace the fuel pump/sending unit in my 06. How big of a job is it to drop the fuel tank? It has the skid plate on it which looks like it could be a bit of a job by itself. Anyone done this themselves?
I have done it to add the skid plate to my XK. Look for the skid plate installation instructions, that will get you most of the way to replacing your fuel pump.
I put mine Jeep up on four jack stands and used my motorcycle lift to lower and raise the gas tank and skid plate. That worked well. I also drove my Jeep to almost empty before working on it to reduce the weight of the gas tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't done it on the commander but I highly recommend getting as much fuel out as you can. It makes life much easier. A motorcycle lift would be sweet to use. I just used a regular jack and tried to keep it balanced. On my truck I used two jacks and that seemed easier and I was able to wrap some tie downs around it and the frame and that kept it from falling off the jack.

Not a horrible project to do. These jeeps don't have a fuel system bleeder so I pulled the fuel pump fuse on my JK and started it and let it idle until it died to let the pressure out of the system. You could unplug the pump and start it to do the same thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The skid plate is the only thing holding the gas tank up. When that comes down it all comes down!

I changed the skid plate and would say that was more complicated as the skid and tank had to be separated. You can lower them both together.

Empty as much gas out as possible. I did not disconnect the lines before dropping the tank, but it seems to be the recommended method. In my case, the lines had enough play and flexibility for the tank to reach the ground. If you do disconnect the lines be careful not to break the clips.... this is another issue.

Best of luck!

-Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've done it on my 06. I can't imagine the diesel is any different to the petrol tanks. Just out of a matter of interest is yours petrol or diesel. If its diesel and its whining, I'd change the diesel fuel filter first, as 9 times out of 10 that sorts it. The filter gets blocked and the pump can't push the fuel through and starts whining. I changed mine and still had the same prob, and then changed the fuel filter. A costly mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts