Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say, I absolutely love my Commander, traded the minivan in for it and I couldn't be happier. Picked it up from the dealership this past Saturday.

Driving home from work yesterday some warning lights came on, the ESC/BAS lights and the display said SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM. I haven't even used the 4WD system yet. Service tech said it was probably just a bad sensor. This Commander sat on their lot for 3 months. Is this something I can just expect because of the vehicle sitting for so long and just having a break in period?

My husband is taking it to the dealership today to get looked at and we had to talk to our salesman to get a loaner car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Deputy Coz - Weclome to the Commander world. You are in for a "Love/Hate" relationship ;)

The XK is a great machine but plauged with first year intro bugs. Most of the issues will be minor and just an irritation however some could be serious and dangerous. :eek:

As for the "service 4WD System" message there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that may address the issue. The TSB # is 21-014-06.

You can find a full list of TSBs at the following address:
http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

Happy Trailing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for that link, I knew I had seen it somewhere before I just could not find it.

I did alot of research before buying the Commander, even with the problems I saw, stalling, windshield noice, leaking, I still loved the vehicle so much over the others I looked at, to purchase one.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Deputycoz said:
Thank you so much for that link, I knew I had seen it somewhere before I just could not find it.

I did alot of research before buying the Commander, even with the problems I saw, stalling, windshield noice, leaking, I still loved the vehicle so much over the others I looked at, to purchase one.
Welcome, and good luck with your issues Deputycoz.

Just for future reference, the thread with the TSB link is a "sticky" thread that can always be found at the top of the "Dealer Service/Problems" section of the board.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, I found the issues on the TSB link, but the dealer is concerned because it was 3 different systems showing up at one time. My husband was bringing it to the dealership today and when he started it up this morning, no warning lights or displays were up, he brought it in anyway, nothing showed up when it was hooked up to the computer, but they were really good, said they have an idea of what it might be if it happens again. But so far all is well, I have my Commander back so I am happy.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Good to hear you felt well taken care of.
Had the same issue once with my 300. The on-board diagnostics system is great, it 'senses' a problem, but the computers will self-erase the code if there are no further signs of trouble after 1,2, or 3 "good starts", depending on the system involved.... we have smart cars :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEMEEE said:
.... we have smart cars :D
No kidding, I finally got a chance to sit down and start reading through my owner's manual, I am amazed at some of the stuff the car does, little things that you don't even think about in every day operation.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Deputycoz said:
Thank you so much for that link, I knew I had seen it somewhere before I just could not find it. .
Deputycoz - you are most welcome. The XK is a great machine. I have had several issues that some times make me want to drive it off a cliff :eek: but overall I just love the look and ride. :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HemiCommander said:
Deputycoz - you are most welcome. The XK is a great machine. I have had several issues that some times make me want to drive it off a cliff :eek: but overall I just love the look and ride. :cool:

not listening, not listening, not listening

LOL, I loved the look, now I love the ride so much too that I am willing to deal with the problems as they arise. No matter what problems arise with the Commander, it will still be much better driving that than a 2003 Ford Windstar, :shudder:

·
Registered
473 Posts
i feel you!
bought a brand new 96 windstar and had to replace the motor at 70,000 and the trans at 78,000.:mad:

the only issues i have had with our JC is the dealership.
no problems at all with the jeep but the dealership was less than knowlegable about the vehicle and takes 1.5 hours for an oil change. i think i'll be going elsewhere. they also refuse to give loaners when my jeep is in there for any repairs (i haven't needed one yet but they told me they don't).

but i love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts