Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 2008 Jeep Commander Limited here. It has a key fob and not a regular metal key, but it does insert and turn, similar to a normal key.

I've looked up instructions and video walkthroughs for getting the DTC codes from a Jeep Commander. It seems fairly simple: On, off, on, off, on--then leave the key in the on position. I've seen multiple videos where this works, and the DTC code shows on the dashboard LED readout. But mine isn't working. Is there something different all because my Jeep uses a fob? I've tried four turns instead of three, five turns, six, I've tried varying the amount of time before I turned back to the off position, I'm flummoxed as to what I could be doing wrong, or not doing. What's the deal? Are fobs just immune to this somehow?

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
So, 2008 Jeep Commander Limited here. It has a key fob and not a regular metal key, but it does insert and turn, similar to a normal key.

I've looked up instructions and video walkthroughs for getting the DTC codes from a Jeep Commander. It seems fairly simple: On, off, on, off, on--then leave the key in the on position. I've seen multiple videos where this works, and the DTC code shows on the dashboard LED readout. But mine isn't working. Is there something different all because my Jeep uses a fob? I've tried four turns instead of three, five turns, six, I've tried varying the amount of time before I turned back to the off position, I'm flummoxed as to what I could be doing wrong, or not doing. What's the deal? Are fobs just immune to this somehow?
Just a thought, but, could it possibly be that you don't have any stored DTC's to display?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought, but, could it possibly be that you don't have any stored DTC's to display?
Possible I guess, but the dashboard is throwing the emergency brake, ABS, Tow, and ESP BAS lights on all at once, I guess I assumed there would be a code associated with what's going on there.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Possible I guess, but the dashboard is throwing the emergency brake, ABS, Tow, and ESP BAS lights on all at once, I guess I assumed there would be a code associated with what's going on there.
Yeah, I'd imagine so. I never actually tried the key dance myself, I've only read about it.

That being said, you might consider picking up an OBD-II Scanner; there are a few on the market that are fairly cheap, here's one for $30.00

https://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-code-reader-64981.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+All+Products|All+Products|64981&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sKE0GgBvZ|pcrid|327822404853|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|64981|&pgrid=71439424048&ptaid=pla-296227499965&pcid=1688396772&intent=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkqPrBRA3EiwAKdtwk5VSdQBREv2Ay3YaldOf-gg13Y34Sk6Zt4Dv9lribhIF48joAQ6RihoCvusQAvD_BwE

Makes sense to have one if you plan on keeping your XK for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts