Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find the oil filter in my wifes 4.7 Commander for the life of me? Where is this thing hiding? Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Left front of the block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so in other words you have to get access to it from the engine bay not underneath like most cars right? and do you mean drivers side or pass side

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't feel bad. When I went to do my 1st oil change, I couldn't find the filter on my Hemi. I had to call the dealer! It, also, is on the front of the engine.

In my defense, however, the engine AND the filter were black.

IMHO, it is in a lousy place! I have to use a "cup" filter wrench on the end of a ratchet with extention. To top it off, the damn thing is tilted on a 45 degree angle! :(

Don't even get me started about the drain plug location!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i just changed the oil in my commander last week. i too, have the 4.7L.

the moron that put the last oil filter on must have been a monkey. damn i could not get it off. i had to go buy a special oil filter wrench to get it off. atleast there is that oil catch under the filter.

but the oil plug sucks. with the skid plate in place it makes a hell of a mess.

okay enough ranting. i put castrol synthetic oil 5w-30 in. it made a pig difference. i also found the walmart i shop at sells mopar oil filters. its part number# M0-090 or 1-05281090. its not listed in their computer but it fits perfect. i cross referenced it at the local napa where i had to by the wrench.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Oil Coupon

Just My Luck.....

Sorry. At this time there is no participating dealer located within 60 miles of this ZIP Code. Use the Next button to enter another ZIP Code.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thanks for the link. Awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Just had my oil replaced Mobil 5w-30 synthetic and air filter $98.00
Shouldn't you have used 5W-20 for the HEMI with MDS, or do you have a 4.7 ?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Shouldn't you have used 5W-20 for the HEMI with MDS, or do you have a 4.7 ?

4.7, and I'm considering replacing oil in the future my self, depending on what the cost of Mobil 1 is. Their is a environmental drop off station on the way to my office so I'll be able to dispose of the oil.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
4.7, and I'm considering replacing oil in the future my self, depending on what the cost of Mobil 1 is. Their is a environmental drop off station on the way to my office so I'll be able to dispose of the oil.
Gotcha'...I couldn't remember which engine you had.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Got my brand new Fomoto ready to go!

Next warm day I'm going to up grade to 5W20 Synthetic for the Hemi.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Will I need that part to replace my oil?
No it's optional ... the idea is you take out your oil plug and after the oil all drains out ... put in the Fumoto valve.

Then you never have to mess with the oil plug again, next oil change just flip it open

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts