Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to post this in my other thread, but it was locked. I installed E3 plugs in my 06 hemi about 2 weeks ago. Was happy with them, except 13mpg average and every time I hammered on it, my Passport 9500 IX would go off. So went to advance auto parts, and the exchanged them for me for the champion iridium plugs and what a difference. My radar no longer goes off, and now 17mpg beating on it. I will say, there might have been a slight decrease in power but whatever. Not to mention, the threads are several mm shoter on the E3's.

Also, I beleive its the air intake temp sensor, but on my gtp it made a big difference on the position of it. What is the proper set up on the temp sensor on a Hemi, how should the connector be placed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you replace 8 or 16 plugs? I assume 8 are primary. I am currently averaging 13.5MPG on my completely stock 2010 HEMI.... 2 months old. I floor it all the time, so ... I can't complain about the milage.

I can't imagine plugs having that much effect on milage unless the gap is significantly different. Are you checking the gap and were both sets gapped the same?

I also don't know what it would have to do with the radar, but that said, my 96 S/C Bronco with MSD ignition has had the radar detector going off constantly for years now, so I just leave it shut off. I always thought the detector was toast, or obsolete with equipment always being upgraded...... Maybe it's just the ignition system.

-Tom

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed all 16 plugs. You cannot gap E3's or iridium plugs. The radar has been fine for 500 miles with the plug change, so I'm positive it was the plugs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Some of those plugs made of weird metals emit an energy field when powered. Said field can really mess with on-board electronics, and I bet that's what tripped up the radar detector.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I had E3's in my 07 4.7 liter and they were garbage. Wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
E3 and power loss

I put E3's in my 08 HEMI and instantly started spitting out codes and my check engine light came on. After a week of trying to drive it I took it to the dealer 3 times. My HEMI would stall out while driving or standing still. It would also loss power and regain after about 5 seconds. Come to find out the E3's burned so hot they shorted out my coils which in turn would short out PCM. After a quick change with some Bosch Platnuims it was running like a champ. If you have a HEMI do not install E3's!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts