Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have them in my Jeep and Love them!! 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. 2.5-3 mpg gallon better too. I highly recommend them!!
What engine do you have?

·
Registered
319 Posts
4.7 16,000 miles w/k&n drop in and syntec...over the last 3 months I've averaged 16.2 MPG, that includes wheelin' (When I was allowed.) through the "washes only" of course...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am thinking about those for my Hemi; or some Bosch platinum +2

·
Registered
176 Posts
they are on sale at Kragens for $5.99 each. E3 part #E366 for the 5.7 HEMI XK and E348 for the 3.7 or 4.7. I would of gotten the E3 back then but the NGK Iridiums were a few bucks less for each one. Now they are only $6 each...can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows the correct part number for the 4.7 Liter Flex Fuel engine. I went to the local Pepboys last week to buy some E3 plugs and their computers only listed the 4.7 liter and the 5.7 liter engines. There was nothing listed for the flex fuel engine. So I ended up getting the plugs listed for the normal 4.7 liter engine and was on my way. The part number for the plugs was E3.56

I happened to be in a different auto parts store the following day and out of curiosity asked if they could tell me what plug I was supposed to be running. Well thier computers listed both the 4.7 liter and 4.7 liter flex fuel however it stated that the part number for both engines is E3.48

So at this point i'm wondering if the other store gave me the correct plugs. Well the guy found the E3 book used to cross reference other plugs to the E3 plugs and things got even more confusing. He used the part number for the champion plug that comes stock in the 4.7 liter flex fuel engine and the book stated that I was supposed to be running the E3.64

He then cross referenced the current plugs that I was running (NGK V Power) and the book said I was supposed to use the E3.56 (the plugs I purchased originally). So i ended up just installing those plugs but im wondering if I even installed the correct ones.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im not exactly sure what the difference is between the plugs. Even the guys at the auto parts store didnt have a clue. I emailed E3 directly and never got a response from them.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i guess i would only worry about it if you have a blower or turbo.

the crappy gas just has a higher octane rating. so you shouldn't ping at all. these computers are so advanced in these new vehicles they can compensate pretty well for different octanes.

just make sure the gap is correct for your vehicle, i think its under the hood or in the manual.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im almost positive that you cant gap the E3 spark plugs due to the design.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If they are iridium the gap cannot be adjusted.
Doing so will just bend the fine wire in the center.

Rob
The reason I didnt think you could gap them isnt due to them being iridium. Its due to the actual design of the electrodes. Look at the picture on the main page of their web site.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Now thats a bizarre ground strap!
Yeah, there's no gapping that design.
I guess as long as the plug isn't mishandled (dropped) and is shipped with a protective sleeve, the gap, whatever they have it set at should be intact.

Rob

I wonder how I can find out what the gap and heat range is of those E3.56 plugs I installed.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ya know............
If you read some of the threads on plugs (not to be confused with the threads ON the plugs) where I threw my $.02 into the frey, you see I advocate the upgraded versions of the original plugs.
I follow my own advice because I can be assured the heat range and plug design (gap-depth-etc.) are a direct replacement for what I'm removing.
This experience you are having with vauge or difficult specification info is a path I travelled long ago and one I won't travel again regardless of the hype.
Can a slightly different gap or heat range cause long term damage?
I doubt it, and have never seen any damage caused by a slight varience in either specification.
Odds are you'll be just fine.
It's that nagging ' is everthing ok with this part?' feeling that makes me crazy and why I don't annoy myself anymore by trying to out engineer an engineer when basic maintenence is involved.
Please don't read more into this, I'm only stating why I no longer trust the aftermarket.

Rob

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
the company should have the specs.

they did a test of those on Horsepower TV on Spike, they had pretty good results. better fuel economy, lower emissions, 5+ hp on a V8

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This should tell you what you need to know
http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1432220

The gap looks like it should be either .035 or .040 but The E3 doesn't list a gap. The P/N for the E3 is the E3.48. That is for an 06 4.7L but same P/N for a 07 4.7L flex fuel.

EDIT: The gap on the recommended E3.48 plug is .040 gap(not adjustable)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts