Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forum and first off thank you for having it!!! As a new Commander owner this place just has it all, but I did just come across something I wanted to share. I couldn't find another thread about it but maybe there is. I came across a company called Advanced Fuel Dynamics, they make a system that allows you to run E85 fuel in a non-OEM flex fuel vehicle. They dont show the Commander as a compatible vehicle for their system, but they do have the 5.7 Hemi Dodge Ram listed on there, so I figured I would email them and see if it might work on the 5.7 commander. The company responded to my email very quickly and turns out, the person responding from the company personally has a 2006 5.7 Commander himself and he uses their system and uses E85. Oh and they are currently offering a 15% discount on their system just FYI. I can't think of a reason not to get it, more power, lower engine temps and in communist California its $2 cheaper per gallon. Has anyone else done this or looked into this, I can't see much of a downside? Yes its about $765 for the system but the tuner I was going to buy is $400 anyway. Stacey David the host of Gearz did a review of the system if you google it and watch on you tube.

My 2006 5.7 Hemi Commander has some serious mileage issues. I'm not one of those mileage freaks so hold on dont rip into me yet, but the computer says Im getting around 8.5 mpg city driving and not heavy footed at all. My Hummer H2 had 100lb tires in each corner and got better then that which is why Im so confused. That Hummer was a pig but this Jeep isn't like that at all, so where the heck is this number coming from? Computer needs a reset maybe or ......... Either way I think Im going for the E85 option, it sounds too good to be true, I gotta give it a shot. Again thank you to the forum for all the helpful info, you guys rock!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:
First road trip with the Commander last week and I am full of it hahaha. Very happy about my 15mpg with cruise control at 80. Went by a diesel chevy 3/4 ton truck doing 110 and I think he was a bit shocked, but not as shocked as the Range Rover douche that couldn't get me off his bumper. I think my mpg issues were purely due to stop sign city driving which is not a fair judgement.

I liked my Jeep purchase before but Im LOVING IT NOW!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't taken my 4.7L on a road trip yet. I've got a 200 mile round trip coming up, but that's not much. My instrument panel is reporting 13.8 mpg avg around town.

·
Registered
167 Posts
At $2/gal savings i dont blame you for wanting it. Here in MI, E85 is typically 30% more than 87 oct so once you factor in loss of mileage it doesnt make sense. Good luck, and looking forward to your take on the system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stircrayzy now I get it. Out here in CA the amount of taxes and crap placed on the fuel it makes it an affordable option, but there are barely any stations that carry E85. I kept trying to figure out why it wasn't more popular but your experience is completely opposite. I had no idea in other parts of the country it was more expensive than regular gas.I definitely understand that people with turbos and other performance mods that the E85 is a big improvement for them.

Looks like we have the same year same engine commander. Im curious if you have made any exhaust mods to yours or a cold air intake? Those are the other things Id like to start with but Im not looking to rattle my teeth loose with exhaust sounds, I have a 56 chevy that does that for me already hehehe. Have you done any mods to your exhaust? Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ive done a K&N filter + removed factory intake box DIY. Not sure whether anything improved, but theres less clutter under the hood, and i can wash out the filter to keep it clean.

Also just installed an MBRP cat back system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts